Flight Review Today

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Flight Review Today

Post by TimTaylor »

I had my flight review today at KHKY in the Remos GX. We did exactly 1 hour ground and 1 hour flight. It was very thorough and probably one of the best I have had. Even did some lazy 8’s which I haven’t done in years. CFI said I was an excellent pilot and very safe pilot. Just what you want to hear.
Retired from flying.
rideandfly

Re: Flight Review Today

Post by rideandfly »

Yep, that's what you want to hear! It's a beautiful in Carolina today! We were probably working on the hangar roof while you did your flight review.
Bill
48 PA-17 Vagabond
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The bad news is they are selling the Remos GX and also their Carbon Cub which I have never flown. Both are listed for sale. About two years ago, the SkyCatcher at Lake Norman was sold. Both of these rental locations are replacing their LSA's with Cessna 172's.

Also, about two years ago one of the SkyCatchers I was flying was totalled by a tornado that hit KPDK in Atlanta. Now, this week, the other SkyCatcher I fly out of KGVL was totaled.

So, just in case Lanier does not replace their totaled SkyCatcher, I called Jon Hansen at KRYY in Marietta, GA to inquire about renting one of his LSA. He is the SkyArrow dealer and has 3 or 4 different LSA's available. Well, too bad, Cobb County has told him he can no longer rent LSA unless he is running a flight school and he has no desire to run a flight school. All of his LSA are for sale.

Light Sport in dying here in Georgia and North Carolina, or so it seems.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

It may very well be basic med effect ...

On the other hand it is clear to me that GA is dying - it seems like it is the norm for me to be one of the youngest at various airport gatherings ... and I am in my 40s.

Nobody can afford a new certified plane and the old ones are getting older every year so it seems the only people who fly them are the same folks who grew up with these machines 40 or 50 years ago..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I would be perfectly happy flying a well maintained 50 year old airplane if I had a medical or Basic Med. At this point, all that matters to me is LSA and if Lanier does not come through with a replacement for their totaled SkyCatcher, I am out of options, at least for now. Of course, very few can afford a new aircraft of any type or they can afford it but choose to use their money in other ways. Rental is the only option for the majority of people and LSA rental is damned near impossible, evidently.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, that’s why they are selling these planes -most people prefer to fly larger, easier to handle, more familiar planes ... I think majority of sales of LSAs are to private owners and perhaps some flight schools here and there ...

It also doesn’t help that a lot of LSAs, due to artificial weight limits, are just not as sturdy as various certified , larger models and don’t do well in rental environments ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I understand why it is happening. My problem is the fact that it is happening. Two years ago, I had 5 LSA available to rent in Atlanta and North Carolina. Now, I'm on the verge of having zero.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote: So, just in case Lanier does not replace their totaled SkyCatcher, I called Jon Hansen at KRYY in Marietta, GA to inquire about renting one of his LSA. He is the SkyArrow dealer and has 3 or 4 different LSA's available. Well, too bad, Cobb County has told him he can no longer rent LSA unless he is running a flight school and he has no desire to run a flight school. All of his LSA are for sale.
I don't think the airport can legally do that if they accept FAA funding.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: So, just in case Lanier does not replace their totaled SkyCatcher, I called Jon Hansen at KRYY in Marietta, GA to inquire about renting one of his LSA. He is the SkyArrow dealer and has 3 or 4 different LSA's available. Well, too bad, Cobb County has told him he can no longer rent LSA unless he is running a flight school and he has no desire to run a flight school. All of his LSA are for sale.
Not the airport, the county. I don't get it, but he would know.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

TimTaylor wrote:I understand why it is happening. My problem is the fact that it is happening. Two years ago, I had 5 LSA available to rent in Atlanta and North Carolina. Now, I'm on the verge of having zero.
Maybe the universe is telling you it’s time to buy a plane!

With all the folks selling or getting out of the Light Sport business, it may help you drive a bargain.

Does Hansen have anything for sale that would interest you?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
smutny

Post by smutny »

Don't forget about partnerships. Put feelers out there and see if you can get three or five like minded folks to buy a LSA compliant aircraft. Whether it be a S/ELSA, Type Certificated or E-AB.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Again, public airport, FAA funding, opening a big can of legal worms. It happens all the time. The local government tries to do something that they can't legally do.

Our airport is run by an airport authority, which is government entity by its self with its own geographical boundaries. About 5 years ago one of our county board members realized that the whole county doesn't pay taxes on the airport. He decided the airport didn't really do anyone any good, and was just for a few rich people. He stated that they should cut the taxes from the airport and use them somewhere else.
Boy did he get an education. First and foremost was that the county board didn't have any business in the airports business. Second was the economic impact that the airport actually has on the community, from increased crop production to our largest employer being located here because of the airport.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

FastEddieB wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I understand why it is happening. My problem is the fact that it is happening. Two years ago, I had 5 LSA available to rent in Atlanta and North Carolina. Now, I'm on the verge of having zero.
Maybe the universe is telling you it’s time to buy a plane!

With all the folks selling or getting out of the Light Sport business, it may help you drive a bargain.

Does Hansen have anything for sale that would interest you?
No, because they are all composites. Nothing wrong with composites except I would need a hanger. I'm still not sure I want to own another airplane. At 71 years old, I'm not sure I want to deal with airplane ownership. Renting works for me, except when it doesn't.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Again, public airport, FAA funding, opening a big can of legal worms. It happens all the time. The local government tries to do something that they can't legally do.

Our airport is run by an airport authority, which is government entity by its self with its own geographical boundaries. About 5 years ago one of our county board members realized that the whole county doesn't pay taxes on the airport. He decided the airport didn't really do anyone any good, and was just for a few rich people. He stated that they should cut the taxes from the airport and use them somewhere else.
Boy did he get an education. First and foremost was that the county board didn't have any business in the airports business. Second was the economic impact that the airport actually has on the community, from increased crop production to our largest employer being located here because of the airport.
He said the county will not let him rent unless he opens a flight school. That's all I need to know, it's not an option for me.
Retired from flying.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Haven't yet begun to invest the considerable $$$$ a Sport Pilot License commands, and from what I'm reading over the past year it sounds more like getting a license to ride a Unicorn, great idea but none to rent.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln