CFI exercising Sport Pilot CFI Privileges question

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

CFI exercising Sport Pilot CFI Privileges question

Post by N918KT »

Hello all, I have a question about CFIs exercising sport pilot CFI privileges.

Just wondering, let's say that a CFI had his medical expired and is exercising sport pilot CFI privileges. If a student is doing sport pilot training from a CFI exercising sport CFI privileges, will the student pilot's dual instruction hours count towards a PPL later on?
Merlinspop

Re: CFI exercising Sport Pilot CFI Privileges question

Post by Merlinspop »

A CFI with an expired medical can still provide instruction. Just not act as PIC. That's why one can give you a Flight Review if your current one isn't expired, but not if it already has expired. Given that, I would think that it's not a matter of the training being able to apply toward a PPL, but rather whether they can give training at all to someone who can't log the time as PIC (glad I got my training before that rule change).
- Bruce
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Here's a radical interpretation: Per the FARs, in order to provide instruction toward the PPL, a Subpart H CFI must hold an "appropriate medical certificate". When instructing in an LSA, the "appropriate" medical certificate is a driver's license. So, by that interpretation, the hours count.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

From a practical standpoint, I've never had a CFI who signed my log book enter anything about their medical. No number, no expiration. The CFI number and exp date, yes. I would doubt that X months or years down the road anyone will ask about the CFI's medical. They'll want to know if the CFI was subpart H or not. No?

Your logbook is still an area where the honor system applies (at least to a degree). I hope it stays that way.
- Bruce
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Paul gave a "radical" interpretation of the regulation. No where does the regulation say "appropriate" medical. My interpretation of the regulation is that a CFI would need a Third Class medical in order to instruct for Private.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

FlyingForFun wrote:My interpretation is that the instruction he gave a student toward a Sport Pilot certificate in an LSA could be counted toward a private.
Unfortunately, I don't think you will find anyone in the FAA that agrees with that view.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

VL Roberts wrote:No where does the regulation say "appropriate" medical.
Actually, the word "appropriate" does appear in the FARs with respect to a medical certificate. (I can't cite the specific reg off the top of my head, but I researched this some months ago.) At the time that reg was written (pre-LSA), I'm sure that by "Appropriate" they meant third, second, or first class. They certainly didn't consider driver's licenses, but those are now appropriate medical certificates in some circumstances. Furthermore, I ran this interpretation past John Yodice (former AOPA counsel), and he unofficially validated my interpretation. Although this hasn't been tested at FAA (I'm certainly not going to bring a test case, and John advised against doing so), he did say that position seemed reasonable to him, in his professional estimation.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:Sometimes, you need to apply a little common sense.
I agree, and that's something most pilots are capable of applying. (Not so sure about the FAA sometimes...)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.