CFI-SP certificate renewal methods - most common?

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

jjfjr

CFI-SP certificate renewal methods - most common?

Post by jjfjr »

Hi;

I'm thinking of getting my CFI-SP rating this summer. In order to renew an unexpired CFI cert, FAR 61.197 states you can do so in one of the following ways:

(1) Passing a practical test

(2) Submitting a completed and signed application with the FAA and satisfactorily completing one of the following renewal requirements—

(i) A record of training students showing that, during the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has endorsed at least 5 students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt.

(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots.

(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.

(iv) A record showing that, within the preceding 12 months from the month of application, the flight instructor passed an official U.S. Armed Forces military instructor pilot proficiency check.

I'm guessing the most common method is the online or in-person refresher course. I'd be curious to hear about what people have done to renew.

Thanks;

jjfjr
SportPilot

Re: CFI-SP certificate renewal methods - most common?

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

I just completed the AOPA/ASI eFIRC. I found the courses were interesting and well produced. The application process was easy to understand. I received my new plastic in the mail today.
Dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

I've done 17 FIRCs, the first 12 in the classroom, and the last 5 online. I find online far cheaper, when you consider travel and lodging costs, as well as losing 3 or 4 instructional days to travel to, and attend, a live FIRC.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
restlinbaum

Post by restlinbaum »

I use American Flyers, and at $80 for lifetime well worth it.
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S