Flight Review Today

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Flight Review Today

Post by TimTaylor »

chicagorandy wrote:Haven't yet begun to invest the considerable $$$$ a Sport Pilot License commands, and from what I'm reading over the past year it sounds more like getting a license to ride a Unicorn, great idea but none to rent.
Perhaps, unless you have the resources and want to use them to purchase your own LSA and rent a hanger. That's why I always come up with the calculations that say you need a flying budget of at least $1,000 per month to own an LSA. You also need the cash to purchase the airplane. In my mind, the Sport Pilot certificate is a best fit for us older guys who don't have a medical, but have plenty of money to spend on a hobby.

Then, to get philosophical about it, you get into the question of values, etc. If you have the resources to do it without asking anyone else to give up anything of significance, then go for it. If you have to put someone else's future at risk or ask them to sacrifice, then maybe not.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

chicagorandy wrote:Haven't yet begun to invest the considerable $$$$ a Sport Pilot License commands, and from what I'm reading over the past year it sounds more like getting a license to ride a Unicorn, great idea but none to rent.
Andy, you have spent a lot of time and effort in preparation for the Sport Pilot written exam. If I was you, I would go ahead and take and pass the written. Don't lose the time and money you have already invested. I think it's good for 2 years, IIFC.
Retired from flying.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

TimTaylor wrote:............Light Sport in dying here in Georgia and North Carolina, or so it seems.
Well it's sort of what I went through 3 years ago on Long Island when I decided to start training for sport pilot. Only 1 flight school offered it and they were down to just a Skycatcher, that at the time, I was too fat for. Hence I ended up just buying an E-AB to do my training in.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

TimTaylor wrote:The bad news is they are selling the Remos GX and also their Carbon Cub which I have never flown. Both are listed for sale. About two years ago, the SkyCatcher at Lake Norman was sold. Both of these rental locations are replacing their LSA's with Cessna 172's.

Also, about two years ago one of the SkyCatchers I was flying was totalled by a tornado that hit KPDK in Atlanta. Now, this week, the other SkyCatcher I fly out of KGVL was totaled.

So, just in case Lanier does not replace their totaled SkyCatcher, I called Jon Hansen at KRYY in Marietta, GA to inquire about renting one of his LSA. He is the SkyArrow dealer and has 3 or 4 different LSA's available. Well, too bad, Cobb County has told him he can no longer rent LSA unless he is running a flight school and he has no desire to run a flight school. All of his LSA are for sale.

Light Sport in dying here in Georgia and North Carolina, or so it seems.
Problem solved. Replacement SkyCatcher arrives Sunday.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

TimTaylor wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:The bad news is they are selling the Remos GX and also their Carbon Cub which I have never flown. Both are listed for sale. About two years ago, the SkyCatcher at Lake Norman was sold. Both of these rental locations are replacing their LSA's with Cessna 172's.

Also, about two years ago one of the SkyCatchers I was flying was totalled by a tornado that hit KPDK in Atlanta. Now, this week, the other SkyCatcher I fly out of KGVL was totaled.

So, just in case Lanier does not replace their totaled SkyCatcher, I called Jon Hansen at KRYY in Marietta, GA to inquire about renting one of his LSA. He is the SkyArrow dealer and has 3 or 4 different LSA's available. Well, too bad, Cobb County has told him he can no longer rent LSA unless he is running a flight school and he has no desire to run a flight school. All of his LSA are for sale.

Light Sport in dying here in Georgia and North Carolina, or so it seems.
Problem solved. Replacement SkyCatcher arrives Sunday.
I really would not want to purchase an LSA until we see if the definition is going to be changed to raise the weight limit significantly. By then, I'll probably be able to afford it.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, a lot of people will probably try to wait ,which will further depress the market , but then again ... it make take FAA another 5 or more years before anything happens and that’s basically 5 wasted years.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:Yeah, a lot of people will probably try to wait ,which will further depress the market , but then again ... it make take FAA another 5 or more years before anything happens and that’s basically 5 wasted years.
Not wasted at all. My preference is to rent and my rental SkyCatcher arrives Sunday. Having owned 3 airplanes, owning a 4th is not my preference.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

TimTaylor wrote:
Warmi wrote:Yeah, a lot of people will probably try to wait ,which will further depress the market , but then again ... it make take FAA another 5 or more years before anything happens and that’s basically 5 wasted years.
Not wasted at all. My preference is to rent and my rental SkyCatcher arrives Sunday. Having owned 3 airplanes, owning a 4th is not my preference.
At this stage of my life, I'm trying to own less stuff, not more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

SkyCatcher arrived today. Back in business.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

:D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I flew the new (2010) SkyCatcher today for 1.9 hours. While it does have 1800 hours on the engine, Lanier has a spare engine out of the one that got totaled in a tornado.

I've now flown 4 different SkyCatchers and there isn't a noticeable difference in any of them. I think it's really a shame Cessna didn't stick with the SkyCatcher. It's a great little airplane (if you can live with 490 pounds useful load).
Retired from flying.