CFI-S ASEL to CFI-G

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

AviatorCrafty

CFI-S ASEL to CFI-G

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Loosely based on a previous thread but this question came to me. Right now I have the checkride for my PPL-G here very soon, and naturally I'd want to progress on to CPL-G then CFI-G, however before that I was just slowly building time towards my CFI-S as that was my original goal and would still be up to get it, as the place I rented from was a long drive to get two and I could fly only about twice a month. However things have changed and I have the opportunity to fly a Cub at a new flight school very close and could fly a lot more often, and my question was if it ended up being I could get my CFI-S before my CFI-G since it wouldn't be an addon I'd basically do the whole initial checkride all over again?
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
3Dreaming

Re: CFI-S ASEL to CFI-G

Post by 3Dreaming »

I suspect it would be treated like a initial checkride. The only positive would be I think you will only have to do the FOI once. Also once you have a sport CFI airplane you can add glider to it, if you have a light sport glider available. That might also help with the transition to a subpart H instructor rating for gliders.
Otto

Post by Otto »

CFI-Sport would be an initial CFI checkride with all the rigor. Then CFI-G would be a CFI checkride with I believe more flexibility in DPE choice and allegedly a little professional courtesy for already having a CFI rating. Or you could add CFI-Sportglider privileges via sign offs. That limits you to sport glider students, 2-33s and a few other rare two seaters. I have yet to meet a sport glider pilot or student.
If getting CFI-sport first makes sense then just do it. You are no worse off in progression than pre-sport pilot rules and while it would be nice to go the other way and skate on a written and a formal checkride at that level of flying a written and a checkride isn't anything to fret about.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Finding a glider instructor who will do a sport pilot add on is far worse that it is with airplanes. Also Sport glider just doesn't work well in some parts of the country. When I got into gliders a few years ago I wanted to do a sport pilot add on. As an airplane instructor I was quite familiar with the process, but the club instructors were not interested. The main reason I wanted to do it was because there is not a glider DPE in the FSDO area we are in. I had to wait 7 or 8 months until a DPE was visiting the club.