Comparing S-LSA to E-LSA insurance rates

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

MrMorden

Re: Comparing S-LSA to E-LSA insurance rates

Post by MrMorden »

Dave C wrote:
MrMorden wrote:I converted my SLSA to ELSA a few years ago. The insurance change was $0 with AIG.
About how much are you paying? I got quotes last fall for switching to ELSA and it would have meant a 75% increase for me.
$1250 annually at last renewal. I highly recommend Chris Wolbert at Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR). I use him as a broker and he shops best prices for me at each renewal (though I have been with AIG since I bought the airplane, he at least checks rates).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

drseti wrote:Clearly a negligible increase, Stan. But, what's your insurance up to now?
Paul, the latest (May, 2020) was $1,415. No claims, no accidents, incidents, or pilot deviations ever. I think being 78 years old may have something to do with the increase. I'm a little over a year from being 80 and will probably see a significant increase then.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Scooper wrote:
drseti wrote:Clearly a negligible increase, Stan. But, what's your insurance up to now?
Paul, the latest (May, 2020) was $1,415. No claims, no accidents, incidents, or pilot deviations ever. I think being 78 years old may have something to do with the increase. I'm a little over a year from being 80 and will probably see a significant increase then.
Yup, age affects it a lot. I have a flying buddy also in a CTSW with bazillions of hours in all kinds of airplanes, similar numbers of hours in a CT, and his insurance is several hundred dollars more than mine. Presumably because he's over 70 and I'm 54.

BTW my airplane is a little over-insured with a $75k hull value.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

FWIW, my new Bristell came in at just over $2600. That's with gazillion hours total time, including thousands in LSA, but I'm sure it's influenced by my age. The commercial policy on my SportStar (which is a flight school aircraft, used for primary training) has roughly the same hull value as the Bristell, but the premium is $7500 this year! So, two airplanes, combined premium over $10k. I'm clearly in the wrong business.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drseti wrote:FWIW, my new Bristell came in at just over $2600. That's with gazillion hours total time, including thousands in LSA, but I'm sure it's influenced by my age. The commercial policy on my SportStar (which is a flight school aircraft, used for primary training) has roughly the same hull value as the Bristell, but the premium is $7500 this year! So, two airplanes, combined premium over $10k. I'm clearly in the wrong business.
Well, your new plane is a taildragger - that’s got to be worth some “extra” insurance $$ regardless of any other factors ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Warmi wrote:
drseti wrote:FWIW, my new Bristell came in at just over $2600. That's with gazillion hours total time, including thousands in LSA, but I'm sure it's influenced by my age. The commercial policy on my SportStar (which is a flight school aircraft, used for primary training) has roughly the same hull value as the Bristell, but the premium is $7500 this year! So, two airplanes, combined premium over $10k. I'm clearly in the wrong business.
Well, your new plane is a taildragger - that’s got to be worth some “extra” insurance $$ regardless of any other factors ...
Not to mention the hull value on a new airplane is certainly quite high.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:
Not to mention the hull value on a new airplane is certainly quite high.
The stated hull value on each of my 2 current planes is around $100k. Considering that I paid $16k for my first plane, that indeed seems high. But being as that was over 40 years ago, and given what LSAs sell for these days, not so much.

It's a good thing I always pay cash for airplanes. If they were financed, I'm sure I'd be required to carry more insurance.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US