Aerovoltz Lithium-Iron batteries

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Aerovoltz Lithium-Iron batteries

Post by FastEddieB »

In 2014, I installed an Aerovoltz lithium-iron battery in my Sky Arrow. It cranked like crazy when new, and still does. I got over 12 extra pounds of useful load, no small thing in my somewhat porky plane. I never bought a special charger, and have used a standard Battery Tender on only a few occasions when the plane has sat for a while.

When I installed it, I put 2017 on my “Tickle Board” as a reasonable 3-year life. Obviously I’m well past that. They’re $250, so it was easy to wait. But I guess The Most Conservative Action would be to replace it now, before it fails somehow.

Anyone else using an Aerovoltz battery, and if so, what kind of life did you get out of it? As a factor, I can repurpose the old one as a backup car or electronics power pack if pulled before failure.

Thanks in advance!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Re: Aerovoltz Lithium-Iron batteries

Post by Wm.Ince »

Eddy,

Could you post a link to that battery you are referring to?
That sounds promising.
Right now, I am equipped with the Odyssey PC310.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Here's a link that I have as I've looked at them before and given the price Eddie paid I assume he bought the GEN-2 360 battery. I also have a Odyssey battery, the PC-680.

https://www.aerovoltz.net/
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

ShawnM wrote:Here's a link that I have as I've looked at them before and given the price Eddie paid I assume he bought the GEN-2 360 battery. I also have a Odyssey battery, the PC-680.

Thank you.
Bill Ince
LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

ShawnM wrote: I also have a Odyssey battery, the PC-680.
That's what I've been using (with LoA) since 2010. I get three years out of them.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:
ShawnM wrote: I also have a Odyssey battery, the PC-680.
That's what I've been using (with LoA) since 2010. I get three years out of them.
I'll be tickled silly if I get 3 years from the PC-680. I was using a much cheaper battery similar to the OEM battery and they were barley lasting a year. And I do fly often and was keeping a Battery Tender on the cheaper batteries if I would go too long between flights. 3 years will be awesome. Thanks Paul.

The SportCruiser has an already aft empty CG so swapping out my 15.4 pound PC-680 for a 2 pound lithium battery would really move the already aft CG even further aft. :shock:
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

ShawnM wrote:Here's a link that I have as I've looked at them before and given the price Eddie paid I assume he bought the GEN-2 360 battery. I also have a Odyssey battery, the PC-680.

Pretty sure that’s the one. It replaced an Odyssey, which was still going strong. I keep it charged if I ever need to swap it back in.

You can see how much smaller it is. And less than 3 lbs, compared to about 15 lbs. for a lead-acid.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I have a PC-680, and I'm on my third one in 5 years.

$250 for 3-4 years is at least equally cost efficient than $130 every 1-2 years, and less hassle with less frequent failures/maintenance. I think I'll switch next time.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Just curious on battery capacity. The Sting series use a much smaller battery. In Odyssey-speak this is the PC310 which seems to have around 60% of the power vs the PC680 (and weights 11 pounds less). I've never had any trouble starting the Sting and the life of the battery seems to be the same. So why the bigger battery on CT, SkyArrow, SportCruiser and, perhaps, others?
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:So why the bigger battery on CT, SkyArrow, SportCruiser and, perhaps, others?
It might have to do with the avionics installed. I have a lot of electronics in my SportStar (dual Dynon Skyviews, autopilot, NavComm, electric pitch and roll trim, dual GPS, ADS-B in and out, etc.) This all draws about 20 amps of extra current, necessitating dual generators. If one or more of those fails, the bigger battery powers the panel all the way to the scene of the crash. :?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

One thing the Sky Arrow has working against it is a really long cable run from the battery to the starter.

When my ignition modules went bad, the Aerovoltz continued to crank like crazy, but after a lot of start attempts it’s voltage dropped precipitously at the end.

One thing working against lithium-iron batteries is running them completely discharged can ruin them. But they seem to lose charge very slowly.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Update: I decided to budget in $250 for a new Aerovoltz for March. Mine was bought at the LSA Expo in 2014, and even though it still performs as new, I figure it doesn’t owe me anything. 5 years battery life is nothing to sneeze at, and the inconvenience of a failed battery at an inconvenient time has to be factored in. Most Conservative Action and all that! And I’ll have a healthy battery to keep around as a backup, or to use in another vehicle.

Thanks for the input.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:Update: I decided to budget in $250 for a new Aerovoltz for March. Mine was bought at the LSA Expo in 2014, and even though it still performs as new, I figure it doesn’t owe me anything. 5 years battery life is nothing to sneeze at, and the inconvenience of a failed battery at an inconvenient time has to be factored in. Most Conservative Action and all that! And I’ll have a healthy battery to keep around as a backup, or to use in another vehicle.
Eddy,

Any chance you could post a link to the battery you are talking about? My next battery, I may move up to that one. By the way, which voltage regulator are you operating with?
Bill Ince
LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wm.Ince wrote: Eddy,

Any chance you could post a link to the battery you are talking about? My next battery, I may move up to that one. By the way, which voltage regulator are you operating with?
Linky: https://www.aerovoltz.net/aerovoltz-gen ... m-battery/

I switched to a $35 John Deere voltage regulator a few years back, that has been flawless in operation so far. Pretty sure that’s been discussed here, but a thread from the Vans forum about my installation.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... f&t=145298

Obvious caveat: only “approved” for Experimentals, of course.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote: Eddy,

Linky: https://www.aerovoltz.net/aerovoltz-gen ... m-battery/

I switched to a $35 John Deere voltage regulator a few years back, that has been flawless in operation so far. Pretty sure that’s been discussed here, but a thread from the Vans forum about my installation.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... f&t=145298

Obvious caveat: only “approved” for Experimentals, of course.
Thanks Eddy! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI