Unleaded

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Unleaded

Post by drseti »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Just found another nearby gas station with 91 no ethanol unleaded.
Great! Send some my way.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Just throwing this out there for anyone who is not aware and who may be in search of ethanol free fuel. There is a website , and of course an app, for finding ethanol free fuel near you.

Start with the website and check if there are any stations close to you. Very helpful.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

At the bottom of the page when it loads is a shaded, orange-ish box, just click on your state and it will list all stations by city in alphabetical order. It'll then show you the brand and octane rating for that station. Users can and do leave notes as to the current prices.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Just found another nearby gas station with 91 no ethanol unleaded.
Great! Send some my way.
Paul, maybe you could talk the airport into becoming a dealer for Swift fuel.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nice!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Wm.Ince wrote: The only reservation I have with ethanol use, is if the aircraft sits idle for long periods of time.
I think we'd have to define "long periods."

Until this week, I would have probably said anything over a few weeks is iffy. BUT, this week was the first time in nine weeks I could fly, due to recent shoulder surgery. I had about half tanks of 93 unleaded with ethanol in the tanks, and I decided to start it with the "old" gas in it and see what happened, and if it ran rough at all I'd drain it and put fresh gas in.

Once I got the battery charged (oops), it started right up, and ran great. I flew about 45 minutes, twice around the pattern and then out away from the airport (to test my new iFly unit with the autopilot), and back for a full-stop landing. It ran great the whole time, at all RPM.

So I think quality ethanol gas (mine was from a local BP station) holds up quite well. BTW I have tested this gas before, and it's about 5-6% ethanol. Higher ethanol content fuel might not hold up as well. I think at the 4-6 month mark it would need to be reevaluated, but based on my experience, fuel sitting for 2-3 months should not really be an issue. Just make sure you check it for water.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: Paul, maybe you could talk the airport into becoming a dealer for Swift fuel.
I've tried, Tom. The city owns the airport, and their level of interest couldn't be lower. (Some members of our City Council would just as soon close the airport.) :evil:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

MrMorden wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote: ...
Once I got the battery charged (oops), it started right up, and ran great. I flew about 45 minutes, twice around the pattern and then out away from the airport (to test my new iFly unit with the autopilot), and back for a full-stop landing. It ran great the whole time, at all RPM.
Sure like a pirep on that setup some time :)
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Jim Hardin wrote:
Just for the record, that quote did not come from me.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Bought 20 gallons of unleaded, no ethanol, 91 octane last weekend. All good on a 2 hour flight. Station is only a couple of miles from the airport.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Jim Hardin wrote:
Just for the record, that quote did not come from me.
Sorry! I was trying to crop the quotes and screwed it up.

The pirep I was referring to was MrMorden's remark about the iFly.