Aerovoltz Lithium-Iron batteries

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Re: Aerovoltz Lithium-Iron batteries

Post by Warmi »

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/oc ... -2018-124/

Reading reports like the one above makes me wonder if lithium batteries are at the safety point where I would want them onboard. Of course, ultimately it was an operator error but we are all humans and any piece of technology that can backfire so spectacularly doe to a relatively minor error gives me second thoughts.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Thanks for that, and taken into consideration.

A few points...

1) My John Deere regulator, and the Ducati before that, tend to settle in at about 14v, which is approved for Aerovoltz batteries.

2) At the first sign of an over-voltage condition, master switch OFF and land as soon as practicable.

3) A stone-dead lithium-iron battery is toast.

4) Any chemical device storing a lot of energy runs the risk of releasing that energy in a dramatic way. I’ve had two lead-acid batteries explode while being charged. It’s also not pretty.

One such:

But, again, I appreciate the concern. I’m ordering my new battery in about a week. After 5 years of use, my current Aerovoltz has earned retirement - though as I said before, I’m probably going to repurpose it and try to get every last usable electron out of it!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I was thinking about lithium batteries as well - once I go ELSA ( which I think I will at some point ) - you just get more bang for your buck ( and weight) with them but then I read a report like that and start asking myself , can I trust , not the battery, but myself with that battery :D

Anyway, I am sure you will do fine another 5 years without any problems.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois