Brake Part Number

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Brake Part Number

Post by JJ Campbell »

The totally incompetent folks at Tecnam in Sebring finally sent my brake parts after a weeks delay because they didn't pay FedEx and UPS and their account was locked.

Icing on the cake, they sent ONE disk. See photo. Does anyone know the part number for this (what they sent was totally void of any numbers) so I and possibly get it today from someone else?
Attachments
Brake Disk - small.jpg
Brake Disk - small.jpg (230.69 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
3Dreaming

Re: Brake Part Number

Post by 3Dreaming »

This is for a CTSW, that also uses the Marc brakes. I know it looks a little different, and I am not sure if it has the same hole spacing for the pins, but it might be an option. Just for a data point the older original CTSW disc looked like the one you pictured with the calico shaped holes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264516585392?h ... SwbY5eEj4E
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

3Dreaming wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:03 pm This is for a CTSW, that also uses the Marc brakes. I know it looks a little different, and I am not sure if it has the same hole spacing for the pins, but it might be an option. Just for a data point the older original CTSW disc looked like the one you pictured with the calico shaped holes.

What was the part number for yours? My Brake Disk Part number from Tecnam is 010102107 and the pads are 010203209. These could very well be the Marc-Ingegno part numbers and if yours and mine are the same, have the same part numbers. Or, since my invoice said "BRAKE PADS - OLD STYLE" I may be looking for the older CTSW brakes.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Aaah yes. Dealing with Tecnam.
The day my P92E was converted to experimental was one of the best days of my life.
I’m in the process of replacing the poorly designed Marc brakes with Matco’s.
Not the tecnam approved Matcos with the too-small rotors and ball bearings.
Instead, I ordered the Matcos that are like the ones Zenith builders use.
I’m looking forward to stopping without the chattering.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Matco brakes are the cat's meow. Their customer service is awesome, parts are VERY, VERY affordable and you can buy the parts direct from Matco online and have them in a few days as they always have stock. The entire brake assembly including the 5" wheel and brake rotor for my SportCruiser is $314 per side. They sell rebuild kits for every brake part they sell. Every LSA should have them installed. :mrgreen:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

JJ Campbell wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:44 pm
3Dreaming wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:03 pm This is for a CTSW, that also uses the Marc brakes. I know it looks a little different, and I am not sure if it has the same hole spacing for the pins, but it might be an option. Just for a data point the older original CTSW disc looked like the one you pictured with the calico shaped holes.

What was the part number for yours? My Brake Disk Part number from Tecnam is 010102107 and the pads are 010203209. These could very well be the Marc-Ingegno part numbers and if yours and mine are the same, have the same part numbers. Or, since my invoice said "BRAKE PADS - OLD STYLE" I may be looking for the older CTSW brakes.
The Flight Design number doesn't match up. I suspect they are part number generated by the aircraft manufacture, and not Marc. I am afraid you would have to do a physical comparison to see if they are the same.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

ShawnM wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 am Matco brakes are the cat's meow. Their customer service is awesome, parts are VERY, VERY affordable and you can buy the parts direct from Matco online and have them in a few days as they always have stock. The entire brake assembly including the 5" wheel and brake rotor for my SportCruiser is $314 per side. They sell rebuild kits for every brake part they sell. Every LSA should have them installed. :mrgreen:
Except when you get a little wear on the brake pads and the piston gets cocked in the caliper housing causing the brakes to lock up.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

3Dreaming wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 am
ShawnM wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 am Matco brakes are the cat's meow. Their customer service is awesome, parts are VERY, VERY affordable and you can buy the parts direct from Matco online and have them in a few days as they always have stock. The entire brake assembly including the 5" wheel and brake rotor for my SportCruiser is $314 per side. They sell rebuild kits for every brake part they sell. Every LSA should have them installed. :mrgreen:
Except when you get a little wear on the brake pads and the piston gets cocked in the caliper housing causing the brakes to lock up.
Odd, I've been flying my SportCruiser with Matco brakes for nearly 8 years now and the only problem I've had is a leaky o-ring on the piston inside the caliper. Cost me a whopping $6.85 for a new o-ring and piston. Never had a lock up. Gotta love those Matco brakes. :mrgreen:

Every couple of years I replace the pads when they reach the wear indicator, $86.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

ShawnM wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:00 pm
Odd, I've been flying my SportCruiser with Matco brakes for nearly 8 years now and the only problem I've had is a leaky o-ring on the piston inside the caliper. Cost me a whopping $6.85 for a new o-ring and piston. Never had a lock up. Gotta love those Matco brakes. :mrgreen:

Every couple of years I replace the pads when they reach the wear indicator, $86.
I have heard of it and experienced it myself with the Matco on Flight Design CT's. I also know of it happening on a Lancair. It is rumored to have caused the landing accident of a CT landing at a remote strip. The fall out caused the shutting down of the old CT forum, and the start of the new one quite sometime back. That being said the CT uses a different wheel and brake assembly compared to the Sport Cruiser. I changed disk and pads during a tire change on one of those earlier this year.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

3Dreaming wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:31 pm I have heard of it and experienced it myself with the Matco on Flight Design CT's. I also know of it happening on a Lancair. It is rumored to have caused the landing accident of a CT landing at a remote strip. The fall out caused the shutting down of the old CT forum, and the start of the new one quite sometime back. That being said the CT uses a different wheel and brake assembly compared to the Sport Cruiser. I changed disk and pads during a tire change on one of those earlier this year.
It's obvious that you see more brakes than I do being an A&P so I have no doubt there have been issues. And yes, there are MANY different Matco systems available. My SportCruiser setup is VERY simple and effective. I should count myself lucky then that my only issue with my Matco brakes in 8 years cost me less than $7. I keep that on hand in my sofa cushions. :mrgreen: