Piper / Czech Sport Cruiser throttle cable...

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

FabricGATOR

Piper / Czech Sport Cruiser throttle cable...

Post by FabricGATOR »

So a new customer came to me after there was a PreBuy inspection on his aircraft.
The inspector squawked a throttle cable at the handle in the cabin. p/n SE0306N.
As you can imagine, not having much luck finding this part at Piper/Boeing/Aviall or Sport Cruiser.

How can I fix this in a manner that this aircraft can retain the $LSA capabilities and value?
I've not seen the aircraft or damage findings, it is currently about an hour away, so if I can arrive with parts/supplies and with my carb calibration gauges so I can fix this in one trip, it'll help me keep flying affordable while retaining safety, reliability, and hull value. My highest choice...

Cheers
Kurt S
Rotax iRMT/ A&P mechanic
Custodian of a 1944 USAA surplus LSA, an Aeronca o-58b
3Dreaming

Re: Piper / Czech Sport Cruiser throttle cable...

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm not sure about the Sport Cruiser, but I have changed a few inner cable due to fraying. It is pretty simple, just find a cable of the correct diameter and the proper crimped end fitting. You might check with Cruiser Aircraft USA in Utah.
FabricGATOR

Post by FabricGATOR »

Thank you for the guidance 3Dreaming,

I tried reaching out to them either on their website or email and didn't get a reply. I suppose I need to call them (it was 3am est when I wrote)

I am also looking for Metric hardware replacement spares such as the small ss pan head inspection panel screws with a 2mm hex drive hole that I find stripped out from the animals using screw guns [HINT: You are really not saving time nor being more productive]
Kurt S
Rotax iRMT/ A&P mechanic
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

McMaster Carr is a good source for hardware. Just make sure it meets the DIN specification called out in the parts manual. There are also a few of the eastern European airplanes that use AN hardware, so be sure to check.
FabricGATOR

Post by FabricGATOR »

I spoke to Jackson this morning at CruiserAircraftUSA.com
He claimed that they were now supporting Czech Port Cruiser/Piper Sport Cruiser out of SLC Utah.
I will let you know how this all plays out in trying to NOT turn this aircraft into an experimental.
Kurt S
Rotax iRMT/ A&P mechanic