Part 23 Certification Bill Leaving LSA Out?

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Part 23 Certification Bill Leaving LSA Out?

Post by MrMorden »

The new Part 23 rewrite bill that simplifies certification appears to simplify maintenance as well, allowing single engine aircraft under 2700lb to go into a "non-commercial" category that will essentially allow maintenance and installation of non-certified systems (autopilots, EFIS, etc) very much like E-AB aircraft. My question is, does this apply only to Part 23 aircraft, or LSA as well. If only Part 23, this is going to lead to a weird situation where "certified" airplanes have more latitude in maintenance and installed equipment than "non-certified" LSA.

Don't you love bureaucracy?!?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Re: Part 23 Certification Bill Leaving LSA Out?

Post by drseti »

Andy, as I interpret it, the ASTM rules already permit installation and maintenance of non-certified systems in an LSA. In the case of an E-LSA, pretty much anything goes, as long as the LSA performance limits are not exceeded. For an S-LSA, it is up to the original manufacturer to issue a Letter of Authorization, which they can do for non-certified equipment.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Andy,

There is no restriction against a LSA manufacturer getting a current S-LSA design certified under the new Part 23 rules. There are probably more costs involved than ASTM but could open other markets like the oft bemoaned MTOW. I have no idea whether the increased costs would be covered by increased sales.
dave
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I'm not as confused by the installation of non-cert devices (that is WAY long overdue for certified airplanes), but more about the maintenance, which as I understand it (which could be wrong) is that if you enter this new category (non-commercial), you can keep your airplane as a Part 23 airplane and yet still do all your own maintenance (minus annuals) very much like an E-AB. The only way to do that with an LSA is to go experimental, which has some issues (for example, I cannot make my airplane E-LSA because my finance company will not finance experimental aircraft).

I'd like to be able to do much more of my own maintenance without the implications of going experimental. This bill seems to allow that for Part 23 airplanes, but not LSA. I know, you can't have everything, but I can still want it! :D
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

dstclair wrote:Andy,

There is no restriction against a LSA manufacturer getting a current S-LSA design certified under the new Part 23 rules. There are probably more costs involved than ASTM but could open other markets like the oft bemoaned MTOW. I have no idea whether the increased costs would be covered by increased sales.
Since many are already saying LSA are overpriced for what they are and what they do, I think they'd lose sales on that deal with increased compliance costs. Maybe not though if there are some real advantages.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MrMorden wrote:The only way to do that with an LSA is to go experimental, which has some issues (for example, I cannot make my airplane E-LSA because my finance company will not finance experimental aircraft).

I'd like to be able to do much more of my own maintenance without the implications of going experimental. This bill seems to allow that for Part 23 airplanes, but not LSA. I know, you can't have everything, but I can still want it! :D
I thought the 16 hour course (or is it the long one?) gets you certification that will allow you to do all your own mx on an S-LSA?
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Merlinspop wrote:I thought the 16 hour course (or is it the long one?) gets you certification that will allow you to do all your own mx on an S-LSA?
Here's my understanding, Bruce:

Anyone can do maintenance (major repair, minor repair, or modification) on any experimental aircraft (either E-AB or ELSA), with no FAA certificate required at all. The 16 hour LSRI course will allow anyone (not just the owner) to do the condition inspection on an ELSA (but not an E-AB -- that still has to be an A&P, or the original builder with a Repairman's Certificate).

To do maintenance or condition inspection on an S-LSA, one must take the 120 hour LSRM course.

<shameless plug>
All of this will be covered in my upcoming EAA Webinar, "LSA Maintenance," on Tuesday night, 26 November, at 8 PM EST. Sign up here for Wings or AMT Award credit: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/189238434
</shameless plug>
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

<shameless plugs> are welcome from you, Paul. You da man!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul, the 16 hour course only allows you to work on ELSA aircraft you own of the same type for which you received training.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote:Paul, the 16 hour course only allows you to work on ELSA aircraft you own of the same type for which you received training.
Yes.

The certificate I got is specific to my N number and Serial No.

But the training was generic - not type-specific.

And it only covers condition inspections, not maintenance, since no certificate is needed to work on an E-LSA.

To work on any S-LSA requires the 120 hour course, as the professor pointed out.

Clear?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:Paul, the 16 hour course only allows you to work on ELSA aircraft you own
Tom, I'm not sure that's entirely true. Yes, the LSRI is for one specific aircraft, by N number. But I'm not so certain you have to be the owner. Several schools have built ELSAs, and all the students were able to get LSRIs for it.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

From the EAA site (bolded mine):

"This rating allows you to conduct the annual condition inspection on an E-LSA you own. It requires the successful completion of an FAA accepted, 16-hour course on the inspection of your particular class of LSA."

http://www.sportpilot.org/maintenance/l ... ments.html

Not an official source, of course, so let's investigate further.

Anyway, here's mine:

I don't recall if I had to show the FSDO ownership info or not.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

65.107 (in part):

(b) The holder of a repairman certificate (light-sport aircraft) with an inspection rating may perform the annual condition inspection on a light-sport aircraft:

(1) That is owned by the holder;

(2) That has been issued an experimental certificate for operating a light-sport aircraft under §21.191(i) of this chapter; and

(3) That is in the same class of light-sport-aircraft for which the holder has completed the training specified in paragraph (a)(2)(ii) of this section.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, Eddie, the FAR seems pretty clear. I wonder how those schools managed to get each of their students an LSRI?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:I wonder how those schools managed to get each of their students an LSRI?
You've got me.

At least we know it's not lupus.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]