Double Dipping RZR and FGU

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

hirschr

Double Dipping RZR and FGU

Post by hirschr »

Was fortunate to catch two back to back Fly-Ins over the weekend. RZR had their CAP breakfast which had a great turnout including a couple of Stearmans and FGU (my home base) had a big EAA chapter meeting with a couple of cool amphibs and one of my all time favorites the poor man's Mustang. With all the folks out this weekend I also had my 1st aborted takeoff at RZR: I was taking off behind a Bonanza with all the proper radio calls and just about to rotate when a Husky called a midfield take off, taxied out and started its take off roll about 1000 ft in front off me! I shut her down and called an aborted takeoff, the Husky climbed out quickly and I had room to resume my takeoff. My co-pilot for the day looked at me and said, "That's not supposed to happen is it?" No, no it isn't... A few pics of all the pretty birds:
IMG_0614 small.jpg
IMG_0614 small.jpg (215.76 KiB) Viewed 16080 times
IMG_0613 small.jpg
IMG_0613 small.jpg (245.8 KiB) Viewed 16080 times
IMG_0612 small.jpg
IMG_0612 small.jpg (238.26 KiB) Viewed 16080 times
hirschr

Re: Double Dipping RZR and FGU

Post by hirschr »

And a few more from FGU:
IMG_0617 small.jpg
IMG_0617 small.jpg (219.59 KiB) Viewed 16078 times
achment]
IMG_0617 small.jpg
IMG_0617 small.jpg (219.59 KiB) Viewed 16078 times
Attachments
IMG_0623 small.jpg
IMG_0623 small.jpg (220.04 KiB) Viewed 16078 times
IMG_0619 small.jpg
IMG_0619 small.jpg (206.37 KiB) Viewed 16078 times
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Regarding your aborted takeoff ....I read somewhere that these type of fly-ins are pretty much the most dangerous time to be around a pilot controlled airfield...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: the most dangerous time to be around a pilot controlled airfield...
I'm so glad you called it "pilot controlled" instead of the FAA's prejudicial term of "uncontrolled" (which implies anarcy and chaos... oh, wait...)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

You want anarchy and chaos? Come to my field on a weekend when the weather is nice. At any given moment there are 2 sailplanes overhead, about 10 skydivers in the air, the jump plane coming and going like clockwork, gyros and trikes buzzing around like mosquitos and then there's the regular aircraft in the pattern or simply coming and going. Talk about having your head on a swivel........it certainly keeps me on my toes. :mrgreen:

On that same note, the word on the street (or at least at the airport :mrgreen: ) is this is the reason that the Pilatus PC-12 I posted about that landed gear up at my airport, he was distracted by the trikes and gyros on their tight pattern and he forgot the landing gear.

Great pics hirschr, love the pancake breakfasts.