What would you do?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

What would you do?

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Here's a hypothetical question:
You are holding short of the runway, following tower instructions to hold short for landing traffic. A DH Beaver crosses the threshold, on floats but wheels are not down. He continues in to a crash land. What actions would you take?
This scenario almost happened, but the pilot realized the error and went around without incident.
drseti

Re: What would you do?

Post by drseti »

If I saw it in time, I'd key up my mic and say (most assertively, in my best Controller voice) "beaver, go around!"
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:If I saw it in time, I'd key up my mic and say (most assertively, in my best Controller voice) "beaver, go around!"
Good call Paul. I would have done the same, except I probably would have repeated the "go-around" at least one more time, in case he did not hear it the first time.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

There's a litany you learn to recite (out loud) before every single landing in an amphib. Before landing on water, you say when established on final (and verify them when you say it): "this is a WATER landing. Left wheel up, right wheel up, tailwheel up for a WATER landing." Similarly, when landing on Terra firma, you say out loud on final (and check each one visually): "this is a LAND landing. Left wheel down, right wheel down, tailwheel down for a LAND landing."

Guess nobody taught the Beaver pilot that. :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

If I'm at the airport I have my handheld. When I see someone on final I look for gear, its automatic.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

eyeflygps wrote:I was first in line for takeoff at KPDK when a Bonanza landed on my runway gear-up. I looked up at him just as he passed in front of me and saw his gear was up, but it was too late. I said something (don't remember exactly what) just as he was touching down. I guess he forgot to say GUMPP (gas, undercarriage, mixture, props, pumps).
That's kind of where I was going with this. Do you just sit there and wait for EMS, secure your plane and try to help, taxi back to parking to get out of the way, etc.? Your comments regarding the radio warning are very good - the tower could probably not see those tiny wheels on the pontoons, but since I was holding just off the threshold, I could see them clearly. If it ever happens again (floatplanes are common around here) I won't hesitate.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Something to remember is that sometimes they will land non amphibious float planes on grass. So if you are sitting at a grass runway and don't see wheels it might not be an issue.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

As noted above, the reverse can be true - wheels down in a water landing is just as bad. I saw the results of that recently at my home A&P shop. It happened to a Searey that landed at Hooks (busy GA airport in Houston) - the airport built a "water runway" parallel with the two asphalt runways, to handle amphibs. Guy landed on the water runway with his wheels down - he was fine, as far as I know, but it tore up the Searey pretty good; severe hull damage...

Cheers