Heads up Air speed display on your iPad for .99 cents

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I applaud you for trying to come up with a new and great idea, but I've already had students want to use GPS generated speeds for flying the airplane. The problem is with your read out you could end up trying to fly to fast or slow. The problem with to slow is you will have a landing fall out from under you and bend the airplane. From reading your post you are trying to learn how to make nice landings in the airplane. From teaching over 1,000 landings in the CT the best thing for you to do is learn the correct sight picture and pitch attitude. The student who try to watch the instruments while landing are the ones who have the most trouble learning. Taking time to look at your big read out during this critical phase of flight is just going to hurt your chances of having success, and increase your chances of having an accident. By the way most heads up displays allow you to look through them so you can see the sight picture as well as the information.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Sigh -- the discussion has nothing to do with the iPad. The issue is using ground speed for any phase of flight other than estimating time between two points. The airplane flies through the air not on the ground. :D Hence, that useful little airspeed indicator on your panel :D
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dan, you have a delightfully dry sense of humor, and I can tell that you enjoy yanking people's chains. That's fine. I certainly respect your service on the Yorktown, and sometime (off-list) I'll tell you about my own Pueblo mission experiences. And even though I'm primarily a Windoze user, and take issue with some of the core Apple philosophy, I have nothing whatever against using iPads in the cockpit (I use one myself).

That said, I'm very concerned that we not perpetuate any myths or practices that might lead our younger, more impressionable lurkers into unsafe practices. I strongly believe that monitoring groundspeed on final approach (using an iPad, or any other tool) is really a bad idea. I know I can't dissuade you from doing so, and wish you well -- but I would be remiss in my duties as a CFII and FAA Safety Team lead representative, were I not to object loudly to your practice. Airspeed is relevant to landings. Groundspeed is not. To imply otherwise is to do student pilots on this forum a disservice.

That said, I wish you all the best, thank you for your service, and hope this rather odd practice of yours doesn't get you into trouble.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Now, come on, you guys. Give him a break. :) You know that grand speed is important when you are planning your let down. You would use ground speed to calculate when to start your 500 fpm descent so that you arrive at pattern altitude at the right place. When one gets to flying instrument approaches, one has to consider ground speed in determining descent rate or air speed on final.

And, tertiarily, the preference to minimize ground speed dictates our preference to take off and land into the wind.

Why, ground speed is positively titillating.
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Yeah. "Corrupting the youth." Thats what Socrates had to drink hemlock for doing.*
1% looking at the GPS after I have decided that it is time to flare and I'm doing 45 to 40 knots is not a big deal.
I fear that this clan is like every other. Dry rot. Not invented here. Don't come to us with new ideas.
If the gps is being used by me as training wheels to convince me to get lower and slower before I flare then I'll use it till I don't consider it useful any more.

* Anyone who subverts the dominant paradigm is accused of being . . well, subversive. If everyone believes in certain values and doctrines, and you come along and begin teaching something different, and you build a growing group of followers, you are seen as dangerous.

The same thing happened to Jesus! But in his case he actually taught the values people purported to believe in but didn't really.
Last edited by ussyorktown on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

I like my hemlock like I like my women. Image
JimNtexas

Post by JimNtexas »

The FAA identifies five of the most dangerous hazardous attitudes found in accident pilots:
1) Invulnerability
2) Anti-authority
3) Impulsivity
4) Mr. Macho
5) Resignation
Respectfully speaking Mr Ussyorktown, you are exhibiting at least 2, possibly three of them.
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

This will be bad news for my former flight instructors who signed me off.
Oh, Do pay attention Yorktown!
comperini

Post by comperini »

Using Groundspeed for landing...

Stupid is, as stupid does
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
JimNtexas

Post by JimNtexas »

ussyorktown wrote:This will be bad news for my former flight instructors who signed me off.
Well that clears things up. You're such a macho manly man that the normal laws of aerodynamics just don't apply to you.
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

OK, I went to the patch today. The Ipad wouldn't connect to the sattelites so I went without it.
I looked down at the FD speed guage as for .10 a second before I flared. It said 40 knots so I felt the time was right and pulled back. Except for the gust that pushed me east 3 feet I landed like a sea gull.
If only Forrest had a GPS back in the sixties, we could see how fast he was really running.
JimNtexas

Post by JimNtexas »

I'm glad your 'FD speed guage' helped you land without your iPad.

I do wish you would change your nick, Mr ussyorktown.

The USS Yorktown is a proud ship with a history legacy. It is a proper name and should be written with appropriate capitalization.

It should not be used as a lower case nick on the internet.
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Oh, I don't know, let me ask one of it's most prominent veterans.
ussyorktown to one the USS Yorktown's most prominent veterans: So is it ok if you use ussyorktown as your name on the internet?
Prominent veteran: yes it is and please visit the Library of Congress when they interviewed me about my USS Yorktown service: http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/ ... =sr0001001Image
comperini

Post by comperini »

Your original link to "yorktownsailor.com" (which you have since edited out of your last post), was a blank web page, that didn't display any meaningful information. Kind of fitting, I suppose. And now, your audio link doesn't even work.

Readers can see how hard you try to brag about yourself (by first posting a large "resume" a few days ago, and now trying to impress us with your website and some interview). You're more concerned about impressing everyone, than learning from people here.

I suppose its just time to lock this thread, because clearly, it's not serving a useful purpose any more, other than as a place for Mr. know-it-all to get his name in print.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

This appears to be a group of people who don't like to hear new ideas. Thats fine. I've seen it all my life.
You said that I shouldn't use ussyorktown as my handle. I am entitled having spent 2.5 years of its most interesting time on her as ship's company. I explain myself and you say that I shouldn't-isn't that what you asked for?
I'll check on www.yorktownsailor.com and see why it is taking the day off. Thanks for telling me.

ps, try this one. It is the actual address and not a redirect: http://www.yorktownsailor.com/yorktown/indexYS.htm

I come here and appreciate all that I have learned from you all. Don't mean to piss anybody off but I can't please everyone always strive to keep things civil.