Aus student pilot lands without starboard wheel

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

ussyorktown

Aus student pilot lands without starboard wheel

Post by ussyorktown »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dqCdWIwjQQI think it odd that the firefighters put the fog foam onto the wheel that worked just fine and got around to the medal on pavement side later (which might have gotten hot)

A TRAINEE pilot has walked away "a little shaken" after he was forced to crash land a plane that had lost a wheel in midair.

The 21-year-old Chinese national made the emergency landing at Victoria's Mangalore Airport after colleagues on the ground noticed one of three wheels on the light aircraft was hanging off, and then dropped off altogether.

The pilot, a trainee with China Southern Airlines, then spent almost four hours circling the airport to burn up fuel before touching down shortly before 1.30pm as fire crews waited on the tarmac, said airport manager Joe Gagola.

Mr Gagola said the uninjured pilot walked out of the aircraft, which remained intact during the landing.

"It was an amazing landing if I do say so myself," Mr Gagola said.

"He's a little shaken but he's all right. He had a very calm temperament throughout."

Fire crews sprayed the area around the aircraft with foam as a precaution.

The pilot, who had 120 hours flying experience, was assessed by paramedics and didn't require treatment, Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said.

Earlier, Mr Gagola said it was very uncommon for a plane to lose a wheel and staff had been on tenterhooks.

"It's extremely rare. This is the first time it's ever happened here. We're all virgins at this," he said.

The plane is one of 34 aircraft owned by Moorabbin Flight Training Academy and operated out of Mangalore, 120km north of Melbourne.

Mr Gagola said the company conducted around half a dozen training flights a day at the airport.

Additional reporting: AAP
FastEddieB

Re: Aus student pilot lands without starboard wheel

Post by FastEddieB »

Nicely done.

Whenever I go on and on (ad nauseum) about landing as slowly as possible, one of my thought exercises is, "How fast would you land if you knew, on this landing, a wheel would fall off?" The answer should be, "Well, as slowly as possible". To which I retort, "How do you know a wheel is NOT going to fall off on THIS landing?"

I hope I make my point. Does not really apply here, but the student might not have seen the wheel come off, in which case it would.

Good job, nonetheless!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Re: Aus student pilot lands without starboard wheel

Post by designrs »

Not as dramatic as a lost wheel, but as a student pilot flying solo I had to land on a possible flat main gear tire. Possible yaw was anticipated but never occurred. Landing was absolutely normal until the plane slowed down to taxi speed. Then the tire started to thump, thump, thump. I just managed to get the plane clear of the active runway hold line.