Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

Post by drseti »

I thought so too, but the avionics guy at Aircraft Spruce said otherwise. Anyway, it was an easy swap, and I reused all the existing cables.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Re: Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

Post by designrs »

My plane has the 406Mhz ELT but I just purchased the ResQLink personal PLB. Came to this thread to confirm my decision, which it did.

INSTALLED UNIT:
My POH calls for switching the ELT on after flap deployment. So if that antenna snaps off on ditching the transmission will be for a very short time. On the other hand, the installed ELT is passive and impact activated should an event unexpected or sudden.

PERSONAL DEVICE:
I believe the ResQLink transmits on more modes than Spot. Also it can take several minutes for a satellite to be overhead to receive your signal (emergency satellites are not there constantly) the satellite function needs a clear view of the sky for the satellite GPS. So the PLB provides mobility (if you can move), longer duration of distress signal (over 24 hours), more fix methods (GPS etc.) and redundancy to the installed unit in the aircraft.

PLACEMENT:
I'd wear it on a lanyard for long trips, over water, or over unpopulated areas. Good suggestion by Jack to keep it in the console for other times.

STORAGE TEMPERATURE:
ResQLink battery storage is up to 158 degrees F.
Multiple studies show that a car interior can get to 138 degrees F.
Do you think an interior under a bubble canopy gets hotter than 158 degrees F on a hot Summer day on the ramp? I don't think so. Most planes have a lot of battery-powered devices inside that cockpit anyway.