Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

Re: Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

Post by Jack Tyler »

FWIW when facing this set of choices, my wife and I opted for a PLB. Our rationale is that we hike, take camping trips, and enjoy other activities off the beaten path (and that even includes areas of Florida where we fly, I should add...) where having a PLB along makes some sense to us. As taught in a recent SAR seminar, the PLB sits in an ex-ash tray in the center console between our two seats when flying. Step #1- if serious things begin to happen - is for one of us to throw the small PLB down the neck of our shirt so it will be as available as possible should we go down. Its portability for multiple uses and the certainty that it will be with us, even if we're pinned in the cockpit, outweighed the fixed installation option with its less than perfect activation record. Cost was also a factor but not first factor.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

FWIW, I ordered the AmeriKing AK-451 yesterday from Aircraft Spruce, for $587 with free shipping. This is a replacement for the AK-450 that came in my plane. It uses the same tray and wiring harness; I only need to swap out the antenna and remote (both included). Should be here tomorrow. Evektor promptly issued me an LoA on request.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I have a long (400nm+) cross country flight coming up, which includes about 70nm over the Okefenokee Swamp. I do not want to be solely reliant on my old 121.5MHz ELT for that trip, so I ordered an ACR 406MHz/121.5MHz/GPS PLB unit from Aircraft Spruce.

I might see a need (or regulatory requirement) in the future for a 406MHz ELT, but for right now this suits my needs, and I like that I can remove it from the airplane to use it for other activities as well. Plus, while requiring manual activation, it has a GPS receiver to help narrow the search area for rescuers without the $1200 price tag of a GPS-enabled ELT.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

That's one of those nearby areas, Andy, that helped us choose a PLB as well. Ocala National Forest is another.
Jack
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Jack Tyler wrote:That's one of those nearby areas, Andy, that helped us choose a PLB as well. Ocala National Forest is another.
Hey Jack, any advice for flying down through that area, other than flying at a relatively high altitude over the swamp? My flight will be KWDR -> KGIF -> KSEF.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Not much to offer, Andy. Your route, given what the Southeastern USA is like re: SUA's, is quite unobstructed and trouble free. After leaving your area, you'll be talking with Jax Center, then Jax Approach and finally Orlando Approach and I would definitely recommend using Flight Following given that big expanse of nothing in the middle portion of your route. And altho' you'll hear the Taylor VOR referenced in IFR clearances on occasion, the VOR itself is no longer reliable and slated to be removed. Also pay close attention to honoring the R-2901 restricted area adjacent to Sebring. Judging by how ATC works traffic in that area, my impression is that it's inadvertantly penetrated somewhat frequently, perhaps when it's windy or when a SEF departure keeps the pilot busy and initial navigating is sub-par.

It's definitely summer weather now, in the air if not quite yet on the ground. Fly early and/or fly high for a comfy flight. Hope the trip's an enjoyable one for you.
Jack
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

My bird has the Artex ME406 installed which transmits on 406Mhz and 121.5. Just need to move my antenna based on a recent service bulletin advising move it from the belly to the top of the airframe.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I can't imagine why the antenna was initially installed in the belly, Don, since the SARSATs are generally up, not down. Oh, wait, I know... you usually fly inverted?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

drseti wrote:I can't imagine why the antenna was initially installed in the belly, Don, since the SARSATs are generally up, not down. Oh, wait, I know... you usually fly inverted?
Must be one of those "German Engineering Decisions"... Remos put the antenna on the belly and came out with a service bulletin last year recommending relocation.. Go figure... They also published another one to install screws around the skylight window as several have come loose in flight. VR.. Don
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTSWs also have the ELT antenna on the bottom. Pretty dumb, IMO.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

It's not so dumb when the airplane is lying upside down in a field somewhere.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

50/50 whether it's going to end up inverted. No good answer, except having the external antenna available, and carrying a portable unit (SPOT, PLB). Probably more rescues initiated by cell phones.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Hadn't really thought this through until now but wouldn't it make sense to send the 406 MHz SOS via the panel buttons (or appropriate button on the unit) if the engine quits?
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

I guess it depends on where you are when the engine quits, Dave. If it happens on downwind, it should be a non-event. :D

In any case, I replaced my AK-450 with the AK-451 yesterday. It was a trivial upgrade. Swapping out the antenna, remote, and unit took about an hour. (The paperwork took another two hours...)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

drseti wrote:I guess it depends on where you are when the engine quits, Dave. If it happens on downwind, it should be a non-event. :D

In any case, I replaced my AK-450 with the AK-451 yesterday. It was a trivial upgrade. Swapping out the antenna, remote, and unit took about an hour. (The paperwork took another two hours...)
You haven't seen my landings lately.... :)

I thought the AK-451 could reuse the 450 remote?
dave