Two Airplanes Colliding Over Nevada--Video

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

Two Airplanes Colliding Over Nevada--Video

Post by drdehave »

The accident from last year--that I was very nearly a part of. May they rest in peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FXSsb2ieI
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
RTK

Re: Two Airplanes Colliding Over Nevada--Video

Post by RTK »

Wow... that's tough to watch, let alone experience, I'm sure. I very much appreciate the words of wisdom at the end of your video as I'm taking it all in as a student pilot.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Having done decades of extensive research on, and published numerous articles and one book on, the subject of GA midair collisions, I can state that this sad occurrence fits perfectly the most common MAC scenario. (Not to take anything at all away from Rich's analysis; this is meant merely to validate and support his conclusions and recommendations.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

drdehave

Post by drdehave »

The reports of this accident are all now said and done. Here are details, for what they're worth: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2014/10/f ... -2014.html Note the toxicology results for the Savannah pilot.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
RTK

Post by RTK »

Thanks for posting the final report, drdehave.

A narcotic and a sedative (in addition to anti-malaria medication and benadryl)... seems like quite the cocktail. But it's the narcotic and sedative that makes me take pause. Regardless of my thoughts, those pilots lost their lives in this incident. I recall your original video well and it's still haunting.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

The toxicology report indicted that those drugs would cause impairment but said nothing to the effect that they did cause impairment.

The 'cause' was that they didn't see each other and collided.

Don't be too quick to accept NTSB reports as scrolls handed down from the mountain.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

It would be impossible to say with certainty what effect the drugs in his system had on his judgement and actions, but it is reasonable to say what effect they probably had based on the statistical evidence. There is a reason we are not to fly when using certain medications and/or illegal drugs. It is also clear they did not see each other and ran together, but a 45 degree departure on takeoff followed by a climbing turn to downwind is not standard procedure. Had he climbed straight ahead to 400 feet before making a 90 degree left turn, maybe the accident would not have happened. We should all try to learn from these unfortunate events, not deflect blame.
Retired from flying.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

The report also states that the two aircraft that collided were #2 & 3 of a planned 3-plane (loose) formation flight, with the Savannah being #3. It doesn't go into whether the ever received training in formation flying.
- Bruce