There's hope for us big guys after all.

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

vacantstance

There's hope for us big guys after all.

Post by vacantstance »

I found the following review of a few planes that cater to the more "substantial" pilot. Now, all I have to do is find a school that has one or buy one myself. I'm sure there are other planes that will accommodate us so feel free to share the knowledge.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?Cont ... d3319d8a7e&

Some of the highlights from the article:

The FPNA A22 Valor: Easy to get into. Good visibility with good shoulder and legroom. Still has 300+ lbs of useful load with a 300 lb pilot aboard.

The tandem seat Warner Sportster: A variety of different canopy’s fit very well. Easy to get in and out of and plenty of space. It has 204 lbs of useful load with a 300 lb pilot aboard.

MySky One: Tandem seat, plush interior, overhead canopy, sidestick controller. Lots of room both forward and laterally. Easy chair in the sky. This plane is a big guy’s dream. 310 lbs useful load with a 300 lb pilot aboard.
spooky981

Post by spooky981 »

If it helps with your calculations, fuel is 6 lbs per gallon.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

My CTSW has 601lb of useful load left with a 300lb pilot.

it also has lots of room for him

add to that top of LSA performance

only thing you have to give up is the sexy look of a low wing
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

CharlieTango wrote:My CTSW has 601lb of useful load left with a 300lb pilot.

it also has lots of room for him

add to that top of LSA performance

only thing you have to give up is the sexy look of a low wing
Are you sure? 601lb useful load LEFT with a 300lb pilot. Wouldn't that mean you start with a 910lb useful load?
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

oops, 301 lbs left
vacantstance

Post by vacantstance »

CharlieTango wrote:oops, 301 lbs left
That'll still get me in the sky with an instructor and fuel. I wonder if any schools do the "get licensed in a week" deal with Sport Pilot training? Hopefully I can find a school with one of these(and a slim instructor).
Super Cub

CTLS

Post by Super Cub »

Check with Bob at zoneaviation.com in Lorain Co., OH. He will fly with you every day in a CTLS