Dearth of used S-LSA's for sale

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

Dearth of used S-LSA's for sale

Post by c162pilot »

It appears to me that compared to a short while ago there seems to be a scarcity of used S-LSA's for sale. I am trying to help a friend locate an appropriate S-LSA and I noticed that on the major listing sites like Controller, ASO, Trade-a-Plane and Barnstormers there does not appear to be many planes for sale. Any thoughts on this? Is it just my perception, are the other places to look for used S-LSA's other than the sites mentioned above? Thank you all in advance for any advise or opinions you may have.
3Dreaming

Re: Dearth of used S-LSA's for sale

Post by 3Dreaming »

It depends on what you are looking for. I know of a few around here that are for sale, but I don't think they are listed anywhere.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Chesapeake Sport Pilot (in Maryland just outside of DC) is selling their two Sky Arrows.

Ron
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

rsteele wrote:Chesapeake Sport Pilot (in Maryland just outside of DC) is selling their two Sky Arrows.

Ron
I'm hardly impartial, but have been very impressed with the build quality and durability of my Sky Arrow.

If you can get past the relatively slow cruise speed (95 kts) and heavy empty weight (about 860 lbs) and don't mind tandem seating (which I consider a plus), they'd make great little planes for someone.

Caveat: pretty sure at least one of them was repaired/reinforced following gear damage.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

I have noticed the same thing re listings; when I was looking this spring, there were routinely numerous listings on controller, trade-a-plane, etc. Now there are many fewer. Lots of SportCruisers, Tecnams, even a few Bristells for example (not to mention or omit others, just the ones I remember) from 5-6 months ago. Not as many now, that's for sure.

Reasons? Perhaps there is a seasonality to it - people trying to sell/buy aircraft in the spring for the upcoming flying season? I have noticed that a fair number of dealers maintain a used inventory of traded-in aircraft, not all of which are listed ... or perhaps PBOR2 and a lack of demand so that folks are waiting until the dust settles?

I really can't say why it's the case, but I did notice the same thing ...

Cheers
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

I'm selling the Carlson, which is a kind of a light-sport airplane, or at least Sport Pilot compatible, technically speaking. Not much interest in the 2 months it was on the market.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

rsteele wrote:Chesapeake Sport Pilot (in Maryland just outside of DC) is selling their two Sky Arrows.
The ad at Barnstormers seems to have expired without a sale (unless they forgot to update it):

2006 SKY ARROW SPORT 600 • FOR SALE • 2430 TT, 553 SMOH, 0 since major airframe cosmetic refurb, Dynon D10, GTX 327, 406 ELT, LED ldg lite • Contact Chesapeake Sport Pilot, Owner - located Stevensville, MD USA • Telephone: 410-349-7594 . • Posted August 24, 2016

I'm surprised that Helen & Co. neglected to set the price. The tactic of "call to hear a random number" is a turn-off for many people.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Since I've been looking it seems to be the same planes, a few added here and there. The number of the adds cant match say used C172's, but as I understand it this is kind of a new market so used may be hard to find. guess I can find four general types on the market: kits either partially completed or about done, the "call for price" kind, which if it's like cars online simply means the price they want would scare a reasonable buyer away, high hours aircraft probably flight school trainers, and a very select few marginally priced (like 50's to 60's) mid hours (50% before tbo) aircraft.

I guess I'd have to get more serious to investigate any further, but who's offering financing? I have read a thread on this forum that is very pessimistic. Is it conceivable to put 15-20% down on a used LSA and finance for 20 years?
Ed
Captain Bob

Post by Captain Bob »

I recently found and purchased a nearly perfect Arion Lightning. There were two side by side on Barnstormers at the exact same price. Looked at both and bought the perfect one. The 1,700 mile drive was worth it!
Blue Skies & Tailwinds,
Captain Bob
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I guess I'll dig this thread up, how's the Arion Cpt. Bob? I keep hearing good things and horror stories about them. There were 4 for sale on Controller, only 1 left now. I think only 2 were LS1's the other two looked to be the non-lsa XS versions... generally from what I have seen those can be picked up for 50-70g vs a Pipersport which demands 70-90 for a comparable hour/age aircraft.
Ed
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Ed,

Like you, I am an Arion Lightning fan. Yes, I have read the pro's & con's. I was surprised to see the 2 XS for that cheap. From what I have read about the plane - prior to 2012 there were some handling issues. The same reviewer (I think) did another review after update were done and gave it high marks. My only concern is the empty weight is 850 lbs.

I know a guy who has a kit from 2012 (updated model) for sale. It has a brand new continental 130 hp fadec (tuned down to lsa rules). the plane is about 40% complete. He is an experienced builder, as he has a Lancair 4 seat he built 5 years ago. I was very interested built I have some back problems and having built a replica Cobra from bare frame up, I am question myself if I would be physically able to do all the work required in building an airplane.

He is asking $40,000.00 - the kit is complete as far as everything needed to complete, except avionics and paint.

Let me know if you have an interest. I will be waiting to see Captain Bob's response.

PJ
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

pjdavis wrote: It has a brand new continental 130 hp fadec (tuned down to lsa rules). PJ
Just so you know there is no LSA rule that requires an engine to be tuned down. All the regulations say about an engine is ((6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.).
However for SLSA there used to be a formula for figuring useful load that used HP as part of the formula. Also sometimes the speed of the aircraft is limited by placing a limit for maximum continuous power.
Last edited by 3Dreaming on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Perhaps he meant "tuned down" so as to not exceed 120kcas at maximum continuous power?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Yes, that is what I meant. In fact that is how it was explained to me. Sorry had a colonoscopy yesterday. My brain is still a bit scrambled.... :mrgreen:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:Perhaps he meant "tuned down" so as to not exceed 120kcas at maximum continuous power?
I was adding to my post when you posted. I only said something, because there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of the rules for a LSA. In this case I would bet the engine is not really tuned down, but rather has a artificial RPM limit placed on it limiting max continuous power to meet the 120 kt CAS at Vh limitation.