Anyone with a Rans?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

jtuerk

Anyone with a Rans?

Post by jtuerk »

I am planning to buy a rans s 6 and would like some feedback from owners.
On paper the plane looks great. How is it to fly? and maintain
jbesper

Post by jbesper »

I can't claim much knowledge, but I was lucky enough to get some time in an R-7 today and loved it. Saw the R-6 but didn't fly it. Both looked very well put together though. I highly suggest you check them out further.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I have flown the S-6. Fun plane. Actually flew it from Maryland to Texas. Due to strong winds, we flew across the country at 1,000 feet. It has great visibility and was surprisingly comfortable. Of course the 70 mph ground speed made for a long trip.

I enjoyed flying the S-6.
Hydroguy2

Post by Hydroguy2 »

jbesper wrote:I can't claim much knowledge, but I was lucky enough to get some time in an R-7 today and loved it. Saw the R-6 but didn't fly it. Both looked very well put together though. I highly suggest you check them out further.
I'll wager a guess it was this S-7....got a few hours in it myself.

then the S-6 you saw was this one, I think it may be coming up for sale.

The Rans I've been around are nice honest aircraft. The performance numbers put out by Rans are accurate. When 2 of us flew an S-6es from Montana to Utah(Sept '07), it was hot & we were at max weight. It was work to get to 9500', but performed excellent in every other aspect. We even got hit by windshear(est. 4g's) entering Provo canyon, we were pleasantly surprised when it stayed together. Great tuff little planes. Light on the controls, but fairly well balanced.
It just one Dam job after another

Brian
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

They appear to be one of the few kit built airplanes you can get your money out of after building. The RV series are others.

Lots of options on their website. Make sure the one your buying has what you expect. Looks to be a nice airplane. Never flew one.
jbesper

Post by jbesper »

Brian,

You're exactly right - thanks for the correction. I've gone dizzy over the last few months reading and researching makes/models/specs/prices/ ad naseum.

Those are the aircraft I was in&around, courtesy of Neil at Bueno Aviation in Townsend. Like I said, I only got a tour in the S-7, but it made a great impression!
rfane

Post by rfane »

Hydroguy2 wrote:We even got hit by windshear(est. 4g's) entering Provo canyon, we were pleasantly surprised when it stayed together. Great tuff little planes.
Hopefully it was inspected afterwards and stays together next time. Since you say you were surprised it stayed together, means don't be surprised if enough stress was put on the airframe to cause some damage, that could result in a failure later.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
Hydroguy2

Post by Hydroguy2 »

rfane wrote: .... it was inspected afterwards .....
Done.
It just one Dam job after another

Brian