What kind of Avionics???

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

seastar

What kind of Avionics???

Post by seastar »

I have narrowed down my choice of what LSA's to buy and now am researching Avionics.
I have setteled on the Garmin 696 and the Garmin mode-s transponder and Garmin nav-com.
However I need some user input on EFIS and EMS.
Dynon seems to be the leader but Grand Rapids and Advanced Flight also have attractive black boxes.
I also want to install a coupled autopilot that will do ILS and GPS approaches. Tru-Track and Dynon come to mind
I would appreciate any first hand information/experience about the various "black boxes" regarding ease of use, reliability and support by the manufacturer :?: :?: .
Thanks for your comments.
Bill
pitfield

Visibility of avionics

Post by pitfield »

Just ensure that whatever you buy in the way of non-traditional stuff is highly visible in full sunlight. Sometimes it can be difficult to read a glass screen with the sun shining directly upon it. And don't wear polarized sunglasses.
oldsportpilot

Post by oldsportpilot »

An EFIS and EMS look great, but can be a pain to set up (firmware updates must be made) and use. For example, to set the altimeter, on the Dynon unit you must push various buttons rather than simply twist a knob. OTOH, the remote compass on an EFIS is much better than a whiskey compass - it is nearly as good as a directional gyro. If you are a gadget freak by all means get an EMS and EFIS.

Having used both steam gauges and EFIS/EMS extensively, I fail to see any advantage of the latter for the VFR flying that LS airplanes can do. Of course if you want an IFR-certified LS aircraft, you have to go with certified instruments and engine. The cheap EFIS's that are available don't qualify.
Last edited by oldsportpilot on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jboyd19

Post by jboyd19 »

I recently purchased a Jabiru J230 and it has Grand Rapids equipment and to change the altimeter I just need to twist a knob. No other buttons to press.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

i agree that setting pressure on my efis is simple.

i like the blue mountain avionics EFIS 2 becuase it does so much and includes synthetic vision and a big map.

now that the 696 is here and you don't need a big map on your pfd, i like the looks of the tru trak efis. other then synthetic vision i like an efis that flattens out the hsi and doesn't make it look like a vertical compas card.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

A question for anybody that's been there/done that. Is an EFIS lighter than a full six pack of steam gauges? It seems like it should be, even with a backup altimiter/airspeed?

Ron
David

Avonics

Post by David »

Bill,

The ones you listed are all good from what I have read or when talking to others while researching which one I would purchase. I picked the Grand Rapids due to the ease of use and functions. The only one I personally disliked was the Enigma.

I would see if you can find a plane in your area with each of the models, so you can take them for a test drive on the ground. If you can make a trip to Fun N Sun to look at each EFIS, it might be worth it trip.

You are also welcome to visit me if you are close to Philadelphia to see the Grand Rapids.

David
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Hands down the best EFIS out there right now is the advanced flight systems. I have flown with the Dynons, Grand Rapids, Blue Mountain and Advanced systems. The Advanced are the best. They can also be used for IFR flight.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

tadel001 wrote:Hands down the best EFIS out there right now is the advanced flight systems. I have flown with the Dynons, Grand Rapids, Blue Mountain and Advanced systems. The Advanced are the best. They can also be used for IFR flight.
you say advanced are best, hands down, :roll:

i included the photo to demonstrate what local terrain looks like, this is the terrain i fly through daily.

i have had my bacon saved by the synthetic vision on my efis when forest fire smoke changed course and enveloped me with no way out. good thing i didn't have the best efis installed that day.

tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I am not sure I follow your logic. You couldn't fly on anything but synthetic vision?

I beleive the AFS is the best because of the software and AHRS are far better than the other stuff out there. Having flown behind a bluemountain piece, I was not impressed. The number of software failures and the hassle with updating the product. It had to be removed and mailed back to reload the software.

I do like the looks and think it is a cool product. BUt if you asked me what unit is the best and most reliable, I would say AFS. My opinion, which may not be worth much. Having flown with various EFIS, I think it has some value.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

tadel001 wrote:I am not sure I follow your logic. You couldn't fly on anything but synthetic vision?...
I was cruising @ 9,500 thru terrain that goes above 14,000 in most directions. i had no safe option other then syn vis because i was so deep in the terrain.

your blue mounntain avionics experience obviously is with a unit that is several years old. for years they have had the fastest ADHRS and an usb port on the face to update software.
mcjon77

Re: Avonics

Post by mcjon77 »

David wrote:....The only one I personally disliked was the Enigma. ....
David,

What was it that you disliked about the Enigma?

Jon
David

Re: Avonics

Post by David »

mcjon77 wrote:
David wrote:....The only one I personally disliked was the Enigma. ....
David,

What was it that you disliked about the Enigma?

Jon
Jon - I look at one 2 years ago and didn't like the user interface or the way it functioned between the menus. I flew with it in a hornet about a year ago at the Higherclass factory in CA. I was mostly just a feeling again navigating around in the EFIS, just a personal bias.
N117FA

Re: What kind of Avionics???

Post by N117FA »

seastar wrote:I have narrowed down my choice of what LSA's to buy and now am researching Avionics.
I have setteled on the Garmin 696 and the Garmin mode-s transponder and Garmin nav-com.
However I need some user input on EFIS and EMS.
Dynon seems to be the leader but Grand Rapids and Advanced Flight also have attractive black boxes.
I also want to install a coupled autopilot that will do ILS and GPS approaches. Tru-Track and Dynon come to mind
I would appreciate any first hand information/experience about the various "black boxes" regarding ease of use, reliability and support by the manufacturer :?: :?: .
Thanks for your comments.
Bill
I have the Garmin 330 feeding traffic to a GNS530. This has to be one of the best investments made. You will be amazed at the traffic it sees that you may miss.

I have a buddy that has the Grand Rapids EFIS in his RV and loves it. I fly with the Aspen but I am assuming that you will be strictly VFR so don’t need to pay for its capabilities. The TruTrak DigiFlight II VSVG is capable of tracking the vertical WAAS signals for coupled approaches, is easy to operate and performs well. I have a bubble canopy and the Dynon EMS-D10 performs reasonably well in direct sunlight. Their support is also very good.

Younis Forsyth
Forsyth Aviation
http://www.ForsythAviation.us
Pawlander

Post by Pawlander »

If you have the Dynon HS34 Expansion unit installed, your barometer setting is done by rotating a knob (or pushing buttons - both work) on the Dynon EFIS. Gives some other nice enhancements, too.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/HS34_intro.html