New Cub Crafters SUPER Sport Cub

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Daidalos

New Cub Crafters SUPER Sport Cub

Post by Daidalos »

I can’t believe nobody here has posted about the new aircraft from Cub Crafters yet. Did I miss it? There is an ongoing thread on the AOPA forums.

They are pushing the LSA to it’s legal limits! Check out the website and video; http://www.cubcrafters.com/news_item.aspx?id=200

With 180 hp only about 45% power is used in cruise! They may be meeting the letter of the law, but are they working around the spirit of it? If people abuse the power available then it may create regulatory backlash that would have an impact on all Light Sport.

However I’d like to hear more about the engine. A lighter lower reving engine than a Rotax could be a good thing. Maybe they could produce a 100 or 120 hp version. As pointed out they’ve been around the Experimental market for a while http://eci.aero/. I’m still waiting to see how the IO-233 works out. Most existing LSA’s using 0-200’s just don’t have enough useful load IMHO.

Also notice that there is no information on empty weight or useful load. They just refer to the LSA rules of 900 lbs max empty.

Edit: BTW it is very pricey for an LSA, could this an April Fools joke?
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
glyn

Post by glyn »

ha, that's awesome!! heck of an airplane and design!!!

that would be a nice april fools joke on the price though!!
www.sportflyers.org

www.ussportplanes.com

if you can't fly right.... fly upside down
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I was watching the video on their website. Pretty neat. Useful load will be key.

Their O-200 cub starts at 832 lbs. Here's the standard equipment.
http://www.cubcrafters.com/sportcubs2/features.aspx

Sounds like they have the weight down to compete with the O-200.

Has a lot of stuff that would be optional on other LSA

I posted some ideas on the engine info on the metal vs fabric thread. But it's such a radical departure in engine choice this needs it's own thread.

Main thing to wonder is if it goes so well with 29" tundra tires, Ancient USA 35B flat bottom airfoil, cables, bungees, struts and everything hanging in the breeze why bother with the complexity needed to achieve laminar flow and serious streamlining if we have an LSA speed limit?

Build a cheap tough box for two people that flies. The Cub type airframe is MUCH larger than a lot of other LSA designs. Big wings, tail, gear, steel frame, jackscrew stabilizer trim, stainless solid tail brace wires, etc. Built tough to survive abuse. Hopefully they find more ways to reduce empty weight. Possibly a lighter fabric finish system?

Fuel burn is ok with the big engine pulled back for cruise. I believe the numbers and TBO projections based on the history of the engine components and design.

If you read the specs on the printable PDF build sheet there is a 10 lb option to allow 1820 lb gross weight! Experimental category only. Then you have something that really rivals any existing Super Cub out there. Too bad the LSA weight limit was not higher. 10 lb empty for 500 more useful is a pretty good trade.

Sorry I can't get excited about the price.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
N701RB

Post by N701RB »

Quite impressive indeed! Although with that price tag, I don't think that it'll ever be a seriouse contender in the LSA market.
jeffbennett13

Super Sport Cub

Post by jeffbennett13 »

We are going to have a Super Sport Cub on display with demo rides available at Oak Island Airport (SUT) in NC on Sunday Nov 1 if anybody wants to come out and take a look. I can't wait to fly it, if you can't make it out, email me and I'll try to get some video and a pilot report for you.

Jeff Bennett
Red Sky Aviation
Cubcrafters Instructor Affilliate
seastar

Super sport

Post by seastar »

There is an extensive post a few down if you care to look.
Bill