LSA Amphibians

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

Don't they still have to be 12 inches if operating in an ADIZ or TFR area regardless of anything?
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Yes, that is indeed true. ADIZ (or whatever they are calling it these days in Washington DC) requires the 12 inch numbers, as does international flight. I suppose its best to just put the 12 inch numbers on to begin with.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
jlong16

Post by jlong16 »

I fly a Cape Town which is an amphib (floats) not a flying boat, like the Sea Max. The Sea Max is assembled right down from my house at Wallaby Ranch and seems like a very nicely put together aircraft. The folks at Sea Max are certainly very nice. http://seamaxusa.com/
The Embraer (sp) influence is apparent throughout the Sea Max. Everything just looks nice but I haven't flown one.
It is expensive, about $!50k which is about $30k more than the Cape Town. http://www.fpna.com/capetown.htm
I like high floats that get you up and able to come in to a dock without banging the wings but everyone has a different need and desire.
Helen

Post by Helen »

KSCessnaDriver wrote:Yes, that is indeed true. ADIZ (or whatever they are calling it these days in Washington DC) requires the 12 inch numbers, as does international flight. I suppose its best to just put the 12 inch numbers on to begin with.
That's actually not true. The Washington ADIZ is not a real ADIZ and as such is exempt from the 12" rule.

Helen
(Owner of a 6" numbered C172 based in the heart of the ADIZ.)
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

A landplane with floats installed is sometimes easier to dock. You can walk out on the floats and grab lines/ paddle.

If your sitting in the hull of a flying boat like a Lake it is unusual because your seat is below the water line. Little wakes for a float plane look huge in flying boat hull.

A high wing float plane goes over the dock and pilings. Low wing or flying boat needs to be much more careful unless you put the gear down and beach.

They both work ok. High mounted pushers have some different pitch changes with power but it is easy to learn to compensate.

I like the Lotus floats because of their resistance to damage on our river and simple retraction system.

A local just bought a 912S powered Drifter on Lotus floats. It really takes off short. Remember most lakes are the lowest point in the area so you have to climb out of a bowl on a hot day.

take a look at the cub76n channel on you tube for some action videos of my X air on floats.
jlong16

Post by jlong16 »

I trained in Drifter on Full Lotus Floats and found it to be kind of indestructible. The floats have that rare ability to sort of slide without digging in and flipping. The poly-propylene surface lasts a long time and never looked all that good to begin with, so if you scratch them up, no one notices.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

My last floatplane had a really pretty set of composite floats. I was always worried about scratching or scraping them up on rocks, branches, brush, gravel, tools etc. Not fun. PA has lots of rocks and trees.

Would be nicer to have a rubber set that bounces even if they are kind of ugly. Lotus seems to have that figured out.

We're going to play with the Drifter this summer. Wish they had an enclosed version for winter.

Will report when I get to fly it more. The 912S makes a real rocket but nobody has really come up with a true gross weight yet. It will haul anything but what can the structure stand?

I kind of liked the looks of the Chinook +2 on floats. I really liked the look of the cockpit area. Hopefully one is at Oshkosh to look closer.