LSA Amphibians

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

bayouelton

LSA Amphibians

Post by bayouelton »

I'm giving some serious thought about buying a SeaMax Amaphibian.

http://seamaxusa.com/

I'm an airline pilot (737 CA) who's never owned an airplane before. But I live on the water and think it would be neat to own a small LSA seaplane. Has anybody here ever heard of the SeaMax? Any opinions, pro or con? I've kept my CFI current just in case I ever need to update my resume but wouldn't mind giving seaplane lessons or sight seeing rides to help with the monthly payments. After all $120K+ just for a toy to play with is a lot. Any advice about potential headaches or possible unforseen problems from experienced LSA pilots would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Elton H.
[email protected]
Don't need no stinking badges.
Ocean Springs, MS
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

I never owned a seaplane, but have owned both a boat and a plane. You are certainly going to have the maintenance headaches of both worlds!

There were two Republic SeaBees (all metal) tied down a few spots from mine. I vividly remember them having to rinse them off with fresh water after each flight. Of course they were landing in salt water most of the time (based at KHWV).

The best of luck to you! May everyday be CAVU.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

'it does sound like fun... on a cruise to Alaska, all I could think of was the possibilities of a seaplane.
I know nothing about the Seamax, but it looks great. As a LSA owner, what I know now would make me want to be careful about the company I spend my money with. This is a volatile time and, just like snowmobiles and PWCs, there is likely going to be some consolidation out there.
LSA service and support is hard enough to get with best companies, I can't imagine the problems associated with a company that is going/gone under or one with only a dozen aircraft in the whole US.
Again... I don't know anything about the Seamax or any other Amphib LSAs... but there has been a lot of buzz about the A5 from Icon Aircraft. The company is getting closer to production, having done some test flights, etc. I read they have 350 aircraft on order. Vern Rayburn, of Microsoft/Eclipse/Symantec/Lotus fame, is involved with the company... for what that's worth.

Tim
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
bayouelton

Post by bayouelton »

Thanks for the info about the A5. Very interesting web site when I Googled it. Don't know what to think about it, though. Sure would like to know more before commiting to the SeaMax.
Ocean Springs, MS
rfane

Post by rfane »

There is also the SeaRey.

Website here : http://www.searey.com/index.html

More on it on Dan Johnson's site: http://www.bydanjohnson.com/
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
bayouelton

SeaRey

Post by bayouelton »

Thanks for the SeaRey info, Roger. It comes in a kit according to the web site. Anybody got an educated guess about how long it takes to put together a small airplane from a kit? And when you're done does it have the same FAA classification as if it had been factory built?
Ocean Springs, MS
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

There are several for sale

http://www.barnstormers.com/Amphibian,% ... ifieds.htm

At first I thought that was quite a few for sale, but then I checked the FAA registry to see how many are registered.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

I've never even heard of that plane. It's very nice looking. I hope they make it in the market. Maybe I could actually afford one some day. LOL

Bayouelton, have you flown an LSA before? If not, you should find one and get some time. You'll be amazed how much differently they fly than anything you've probably flown before. I'm definitely no airline pilot, but I always thought I did a pretty decent job flying Cessnas. That's definitely not the case with LSAs. LOL They'll really humble you at first.
bayouelton

N nujmbers :?:

Post by bayouelton »

Thanks for the Barnstormer link, Daidalos. I would never about getting a used seaplane. :idea: That could save me a lot of really big bucks. But I noticed something very interesting a bout all those pics. I couldn't find a single one with an N number on it. How come?
Ocean Springs, MS
bayouelton

SeaRey info

Post by bayouelton »

Just found out that SeaRey only recently got FAA certification for their amphibs to be legal for commercial uses which means every used one on the market today does not fall into that category. Which might explain why they don't have any N numbers. :( But at least forewarned is forearmed. And their waiting list for new SeaReys is 6 months.
Ocean Springs, MS
Daidalos

Re: N nujmbers :?:

Post by Daidalos »

bayouelton wrote:Thanks for the Barnstormer link, Daidalos. I would never about getting a used seaplane. :idea: That could save me a lot of really big bucks. But I noticed something very interesting a bout all those pics. I couldn't find a single one with an N number on it. How come?
I went back to look and found N numbers. They are there but all are small except one of Canadian registry. I though all N numbers had to be 12 inches tall!

BTW here’s a link to all the US registered Searey’s. Note is shows only 1 per state but keep scrolling there are 6 pages. The states repeat, since they are homebuilts the manufacturer is the builder so they are all unique! There is also a page with model Searay I wonder if it’s the same plane?

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry ... ndfind.y=0

Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Searey's are neat looking airplanes. I've always wanted to figure out a way to get some time in one, just to compare a float/hull type seaplane.

There's one you can plainly see the tail number on.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

KSCessnaDriver any idea why the numbers on all of them are so small? I thought the rule was 12 inch high letters.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

FAR 45.29 Size of marks-
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (f) of this section, each operator
of an aircraft shall display marks on the aircraft meeting the size
requirements of this section.
(b) Height. Except as provided in paragraph (h) of this part, the
nationality and registration marks must be of equal height and on--
(1) Fixed-wing aircraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that:
(i) An aircraft displaying marks at least 2 inches high before November
1, 1981 and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before
January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed;
(ii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on a glider;
(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for
which an experimental certificate has been issued under Sec. 21.191(d)
or

21.191(g) for operating as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built
aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed
180 knots CAS; and
(iv) Marks may be displayed on an exhibition, antique, or other aircraft
in accordance with Sec. 45.22.
(2) Airships, spherical balloons, and nonspherical balloons, must be at
least 3 inches high; and
(3) Rotorcraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that rotorcraft
displaying before April 18, 1983, marks required by Sec. 45.29(b)(3) in
effect on April 17, 1983, and rotorcraft manufactured on or after April
1983, but before December 31, 1983, may display those marks until the
aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed.

It continues on with some more stuff. But, that is the only thing I find on the subject. I would guess that would apply in this case, but not really sure.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

Thanks for looking that up. I was sure it was 12 inches. But as you have demonstrated there is always an exception.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument