Zodiac 601 possible flutter problem

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Paul Hamilton

Zodiac 601 possible flutter problem

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I teach in a S-LSA Zodiac 601 which the NTSB has accused of having a flutter problem resulting in wings folding in flight.

http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/2009/A09_30_37.pdf

I am very concerned. It is said that it is only the E-LSA that experience this with loose aileron cables. S-LSA properly maintaied with proper cable tension is not a problem.

http://www.newplane.com/Service_Letters ... 9_2008.pdf

Is there any independent resource who is covering this issue?

Does anyone have any solid data for this?
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

If you are an AOPA member check out their forums. There is a very long thread on this topic.

Forums.aopa.org
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Thanks, That is quite a long thread that somehow got off topic much of the time but overall helpful.

I did talk with the AMD factory today on the phone and they are looking into this with some testing and will provide some response as soon as they can.

I am headed for Sun N Fun so I will be anxious to hear more.

Thanks again. I will try to update this subject when I know more.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Found this interesting:

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2 ... enair.html

"The NTSB listed the fatal breakups in its report: On Feb. 8, 2006, near Oakdale, Calif., a CH-601XL crashed after its wings collapsed (two fatalities). On Nov. 4, 2006, a CH-601XL broke up in flight while cruising near Yuba City, Calif. (two fatalities). On Feb. 5, 2008, a CH-601XL crashed near Barcelona, Spain, after its wings folded up during a descent shortly before landing (two fatalities). On April 7, 2008, a CH-601XL broke up in flight near Polk City, Fla. (one fatality). On Sept. 14, 2008, a CH 601XL crashed in the Netherlands (two fatalities). On March 3 this year, a CH-601XL broke up in flight while cruising near Antelope Island, Utah (one fatality)."

"Sebastien Heintz, president of Zenith Aircraft in Mexico, Mo., said he was surprised by the NTSB letter. Zenith Aircraft makes a kit model of the CH-601XL that is similar in many respects to the light sport model.

“We want to seriously look at all the NTSB concerns and address them individually. For quite some time we have looked at issues relating to flutter and it does not seem to be an issue if the aircraft is maintained properly,” Heintz said. Heintz is the son of the founder of the company, Chris Heintz. The light sport models of the CH-601XL are built by Aircraft Manufacturing and Design (AMD) in Georgia."
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

that's 10 fatalities and 6 aircraft.

quite a coincidence that one of the few designs that favor the continental O-200, which leads to the omission of a recovery system due to heavier motor just happens to be the design that has a number of catastrophic failures.
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Plus, IIRC, more than half of those crashes weren't the S-LSA model of the aircraft. The European models were E-LSA with the kits supplied by CZAW. Seems to me that the NTSB is really jumping the gun here, and trying to get the cart way out in front of the horse. Do some study, get some hard evidence (Most of the crashes aren't straight and level flight, but rather hard maneuvering). Prove to us its actually a flutter, but not just the aircraft failing when it should, by design standards.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

New Zealand issues restrictions on the Zenair CH601 Series:

"The Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand has issued a Continuing Airworthiness Notice regarding the Zenith and Zenair CH601 series, "in the interests of aviation safety."

Continuing Airworthiness Notices (CAN) are intended to alert, educate, and make recommendations to the aviation community. A CAN contains non-regulatory information and guidance that does not meet the criteria for an Airworthiness Directive (AD). The inspections and practices described in this CAN must still be carried out in accordance with the applicable NZCAR Parts 21, 43 and 91. CAA's CANs are ADVISORY ONLY and are NOT MANDATORY."

Taken from today's frontpage at:
http://www.aero-news.net/