Stainless corrosion

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

Stainless corrosion

Post by Cub flyer »

With the large amounts of stainless hardware in a lot of new LSA airplanes I thought this was interesting. Standard category airplanes have had some stainless parts in the control cables for a long time. They can possibly corrode. Also the stainless cables wear much faster than galvanized. Stainless aileron cables wore out within 250 hours on our Cub. Galvanized set lasted over 1000

The ends they are talking about are the parts that thread into the turnbuckles. Keep an eye on them if exposed to moisture.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Recs/letters/2001/A01_6_8.pdf

If you have exposed cad plated steel parts I have treated them with a product called "Black Bear Par Al Ketone" Aircraft spruce sells it. Just brush on. It dries and can be removed with solvent. Beech uses a similar thing on wing bolts in the Queen Air. I usually brush it on all exposed bolts and plated hardware.