ATTN: Ultralight Fans

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Amanda

ATTN: Ultralight Fans

Post by Amanda »

Hi folks.

I am not a pilot of any kind, but I am on this site because my brother and I happen to have a plane—a plane kit, that is, and almost all of it is still in the original boxes shipped from the factory.

This plane (a Challenger Ultralight from Quad City) was our father’s, his dream, but he fell ill not long after purchasing this plane (I believe he got it in 2004) and passed away last year after assembling only one rudder. So for the past year, my brother and I have been trying to figure out what to do with his plane.

This is where you come in. We are trying to figure out, a.) what this kit might be worth now, and b.) how to find an interested party to take it off our hands. We wrote to Quad City and they said we ought to be able to get $5,000 for it, but I am wondering what folks who actually buy/build planes and fly them would be willing to pay, or think it is actually worth.

THE DETAILS: As stated above, this is a Quad City Challenger Ultralight that originally retailed for over $8,000 (just the plane kit, not the engine, etc.). You can check out the Quad City website with more information on the plane model here (scroll down to the bottom of the page to view the Ultralight model):

http://www.quadcitychallenger.com/qc-mods.html

What we have is just the plane kit; we are missing the engine (Rotax), prop, and muffler.

So, the question once more is, how much do you think we should ask for this package? Also, any ideas about where to find someone who might be willing to take this off our hands, someone who wants to assemble and fly their own Ultralight?--Any places pilots typically 'shop' for kits/used planes?

If you yourself, reading this, are interested in the plane, by all means contact me—my brother and I are willing to negotiate “best offers.” We (and the plane kit) are located in central Minnesota. Otherwise, any advice about pricing and finding the kit a home would be an immense help.

Thank you in advance!
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I've no idea what it might be worth but can give you a couple of pointers.

A used kit depreciates REALLY fast because the buyer never knows what might be missing. If I buy a kit from the factory and there is a problem (very likely with the complexity of these kits) any reasonable kit factory will give support for missing or damaged pieces. You simply can't do that

Typically a used kit will sell well at about 50% of the retail price, but seldom for more than 75%.

Second, the biggest market for these sorts of things is barnstormers.com. You can check for similar items, or even place it for sale. Also most folks looking for this sort of thing keep an eye on Ebay.

Good luck!

Ron
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Might also try selling on Craigslist.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Thank you kindly for your suggestions! I will follow your advice.

I didn't even think about missing/damaged parts that the factory would automatically replace...so that's a good point.

Hopefully someone who needs spare body parts or a really affordable kit will find this plane and take it home.

Thanks again!
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

I think I can help you out. I live in wisconsin give me a call 920-290-1859, Thanks, John
"Keep on Draggin"