Cubcrafters

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

seastar

Super Sport Cub

Post by seastar »

I am still looking for someone who has flown the new Super Sport Cub from Cubcrafters.
I have flown the Remos and there is no way it will safely operate from my strip.
I learned to fly in a Cub 50 years ago but that is my last taildragger time.
so it would be like starting over.
I do have about 5500 hours in a large variety of aircraft from a Cub to a CitationJet.
I currently own and fly a stol 337 that I can easily land in 500 feet but will not take off in 800 feet.
My gravel strip is on my property in the Arrowhead of Minnesota in the Superior National Forrest. It has clear approaches - no trees or obstacles and is on the top of a hill at an elevation of 1550'.
It is not in use and I have not/will not attempt it with the 337.
Anyone with direct experence with the Super Sport Cub???? :?:
seastar

Short strip

Post by seastar »

Here is another thought.
What about a Eurofox?
Much less expensive, wings fold and can be either tricycle or tail dragger.
Will it operate from an 800 foot gravel strip????
Anyone with direct experience???
seastar

savanna VG

Post by seastar »

I just watched a YouTube video of the Savanna VG and it doesn't come close to the Super Sport Cub.
Bill
Super Cub

Short Strip

Post by Super Cub »

Take a look at Just Aircraft's Highlander. I have no experience with this plane but have seen some real short field take off and landings at Sebring. They have videos on You Tube.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

When you say the Savannah VG doesn't come close, what are you talking about? Takeoff distance? What does the SuperCub Crafter do? I am willing to be that the Savannah VG wll get off the ground quicker or at about the same distance as any other S-LSA.

The ultimate issue with the plane is the cockpit size. I can fit (5'10" 190) but it isn't comfy for extended flights.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Get a Piper PA-11. It's a model in between a J3 and a Super Cub. Best of both words and much cheaper than buying a new LSA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vu6lmC04yE

Now that's short field.
seastar

PA -11

Post by seastar »

I watched the video on the PA-11 and I have a friend who has one.
There is no way it will do what the Cubcrafters Super Sport Cub is claimed to do.
Two to three lengths to takoff, ten lengths to land and a 2000+fpm rate of climb.
Thats why I am looking for someone who has flown one and can verify it's performance.
You need to watch the video at:
http://cubcrafters.com/supersportcub/video.aspx
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

If you want the cub, and want the short field, at not quite the same cost as the SuperSport Cub, why not build their Carbon Cub? Somebody built one that would take off in 19 feet. So, surely, even with just a 100 horsepower O-200, you could get it off in 2-300 feet. They claim a total weight of 845, with an O-200, so that leaves a 475 pound useful load. If you dont' want to build it as an LSA, they'll let you take the MTOW up to 1865 pounds. Which, by my math, would give you nearly 1000 pounds of useful load.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

seastar,
Okay, I wasn't sure if you were wanting to actually buy the Super Sport Cub. If you have the money, go for it! It'll do everything you want, and more.

Btw, is your friend interested in selling his PA11?? :D
seastar

Super Cub

Post by seastar »

I don't think there is ANY SLSA that will do what Cubcrafters Super Cub will do.
I called them and they say that the wing is from the Carbon cub kit and has been tested to 8.3 G loading. It also has VG's standard. That wing was designed for an 1865 GW.
The engine is an 180 HP ECI 340 (Lycoming) with lightweight starter, alternator and exhaust. It also uses Lightspeed electronic ignition to keep the weight down.
By rating the engine at 80 HP continous they were able to keep the empty weight inside the LSA rules and the cruse speed under the 120K limit.
If you run the engine at 65-75% it will probably outrun most other SLSA's.
It will certainly outclimb almost anything else with that much HP and that wing. Cubcrafters claims 2000+ fpm at SL.
SL to 7500 feet in 5 minutes

I would still like to find someone who has flown the airplane and is not with Cubcrafters to get a first hand opinion about handling and general quality.
Bill

Edit: You couldn't pry my firends PA-11 away from him.
mcjon77

Re: Super Cub

Post by mcjon77 »

seastar wrote:I don't think there is ANY SLSA that will do what Cubcrafters Super Cub will do...
Part of that is due to the fact that it has 50% more horsepower than ANY SLSA out there. Your comparing a 180hp plane with 100hp planes of the same gross weight.

The problem I see is the useful load. They are at the bare minimum ATSM or useful load on a two place SLSA. Sure, the plane might be a hoot to fly, but there is no way I would buy that aircraft UNLESS I already had another aircraft to carry passengers/go faster with.
seastar

Super Cub

Post by seastar »

You are correct. The legal useful is low compared to other SLSA's.
However, if you adopt the Alaska Bush Pilot attitude (if it will fit and fly -go) then everything changes. No ramp checks at my strip.

The 8.3 G wing loading tests are impressive as well. I don't know of any other LSA that tests that high. Several manufacturers use computer analysis instead of tests. I prefer full scale tests.

You can also exchange the type certificate for an ESLA at the factory after the Examineer has signed off on the aircraft if you want to do the work yourself.

Again, has anyone flown the EuroFox who can comment on it's short field performance????
Bill
Rtrhead

Re: Super Cub

Post by Rtrhead »

seastar wrote:You are correct. The legal useful is low compared to other SLSA's.
However, if you adopt the Alaska Bush Pilot attitude (if it will fit and fly -go) then everything changes. No ramp checks at my strip.

The 8.3 G wing loading tests are impressive as well. I don't know of any other LSA that tests that high. Several manufacturers use computer analysis instead of tests. I prefer full scale tests.

You can also exchange the type certificate for an ESLA at the factory after the Examineer has signed off on the aircraft if you want to do the work yourself.

Again, has anyone flown the EuroFox who can comment on it's short field performance????
Bill
Remos says the new GX wing was tested to beyond +8 -4 G's, though that's not what the rating is published at. Either way, short field that Cub is going to have MUCH better performance than the Remos, which was never designed as a bush plane or for operation from rough strips.
pitfield

STOL LSA

Post by pitfield »

I'm no expert, but I have flown the Eurofox (now Aerotrek). And I loved it. I've also flown a Savage (and I loved it, too), and been a passenger in a Highlander. I'd respectfully suggest that you prioritize your needs (STOL, useful load, seating arrangement etc etc). Any of the Savage, Aerotrek, Savannah, Zenith 701/750 and Highlander will get in and out of your strip capably with no stress. Fly them all and you'll figure it out quickly. And if you really have the STOL itch, get a Storch.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

The Highlander is one plane that, if I had the money, I'd buy in a heartbeat for STOL work. It also looks awesome. I like the Savage, looks like a supercub.