UNIVERSITY TEAM NEEDS YOUR HELP DESIGNING NEW LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

racerdude777

UNIVERSITY TEAM NEEDS YOUR HELP DESIGNING NEW LSA

Post by racerdude777 »

We are a group of senior aerospace engineers who have undertaken the task of developing a new light sport aircraft. We are looking to design an amphibious LSA that tops the others in the market. Before we can begin the process of designing it, we need to know what it is pilots look for in a LSA.

We have formed a quick spreadsheet that any pilot or aspiring pilot could fill out in a matter of minutes. This would greatly help our team out and give us a direction to head in for the coming year. If you are willing to help us out then please e-mail me letting me know this at [email protected] and I will send you the spreadsheet to fill out.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you and happy flying!
rfane

Post by rfane »

I'll tell you what you need to know, once I've received the stock certificates for 10% of the venture. Sorry, no free R&D from me.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
Rtrhead

Post by Rtrhead »

Google the Icon A5. A version of that with a better useful load would be ideal, and I hope that's where the design of Light Sport Aircraft is going. I'm also a fan of the SeaMax if you're talking amphibious aircraft. My email is below for your survey/spreadsheet.
-----------
Chris Esposito
Flight Instructor
First Landings Aviation, LLC
[email protected]
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Probably not (at least in the real world) worth spending money on more LSA designs. The market is so limited, and the specifications are so regulated, that after a while, you run out of new designs. At this point, with so many LSA's out there, the ROI on a new design is going to be so low.

That said, I think it would be cool to see something along the lines of a Lake LA-4. Tow place, built with a Jabiru powerplant, nothing fancy in the panel. No need for glass or anything, just a basic panel plus handheld GPS.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
bullwinkle

Post by bullwinkle »

I think amphibious is going to make it less popular, not more. Most people don't care that much about landing on water.

To me it makes sense only if you can get the weight low enough that the extra 90lb in the 1430lb useful of the amphibious LSA can be mostly translated to useful load.

IMO, of course.
________
Comet
Last edited by bullwinkle on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRamos9920

Post by JRamos9920 »

I know one thing we don't need is another LSA manufacturer or new LSA model.. there's already too many out there and we are in the midst of a manufacturer clean up.

However, I applaude any new venture and wish your University the best of luck.

John
Rtrhead

Post by Rtrhead »

Maybe they should just buy a Remos. Haha jk John
-----------
Chris Esposito
Flight Instructor
First Landings Aviation, LLC
[email protected]
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Instead of amphibian there is no real good sport aerobatic LSA or a tandem seating tricycle gear low wing similar to a Varga or Morrisey Bravo.

How about an updated LSA Klemm with a canopy or open cockpit option.

Less insurance than an amphibian.

Amphibians are usually not real good airplanes or boats. But they can do both.

A LSA fixed gear Culver cadet would be real neat.

I wish Cub crafters or legend would sell a clipwing version of their airplanes for light acro.

The actual airplane configuration is not real important as long as it flies well with good visibility, cabin room and useful load. Rugged simple structure to maintain and repair. Ability to upgrade avionics, ability to store outside. Available hardware and normal replacement components. Tires/brakes/filters/ spark plugs/belts/gaskets.

Personalize and sell accessories such as seat covers, stickers, instrument panel and door trim, wing tips and other trim parts. Similar to personalizing your ipod or cell phone with screw, stick, snap on trim parts.

Make a cheap base version available. Then any upgrades can be added later at any time.

Focus on mass production techniques to get the price down. That will always sell airplanes.

Look at every design you can find and airworthiness directives/service bulletins. Do not repeat others mistakes.

Good quiet muffler, adequate cabin heat, low prop noise.

For example. Climb prop, cruise prop, streamline cowl, easy to open cowl, acro clip wings, standard wings, flap equipped wings, tundra tires, normal tires, no electric, electric, floats, skis, airbags, BRS, strobes, transponder, intercom, one tank, two tanks, long baggage, no baggage, tinted glass, clear glass, temperfoam seats, leather, cloth seats, baggage pod, folding bikes, shirts, hats and whatever. colored interior panels. All simple bolt on items by owner or mechanic depending on what it is. Some combinations need to be avoided but it can be clearly labeled.

Get a logo of some animal, not too cuddly but something that appeals to all. The kitfox was perfect. It sells airplanes. Look at avid flyer sales to Kitfox. Marketing....
AerolabNW

Post by AerolabNW »

Cub flyer wrote: How about an updated LSA Klemm with a canopy or open cockpit option.
See www.aerolab.it LoCamp model.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Looks great. Any news on the airplanes development or marketing in the USA? Are the Walter engines still available?

I'd rather the Walter Mikron instead of the Rotec radial.