Tailwheel or Tricycle

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

seastar

Tailwheel or Tricycle

Post by seastar »

I have been looking at LSA's for about a year and have a very short list of aircraft to buy.
Here is the problem - I have about 5500 hours in aircraft from a J3 Cub(45 years ago} to a CitationJet.
At the top of my list is the Cubcrafters Supersport Cub And the Tecnam Bravo.
Both are Fast and very well built IMHO.
I really would like the Cub because it will land almost anywhere.
I have not flown a taildragger for 45 years and wonder if, at my age, I can learn.
The Tecnam would be easy.
Have any seniors out there made the transion to tailwheel and what advice can you give me?
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

I had not flown a taildragger for 18 years until a couple of weeks ago, when I got about 10 hours in a Citabria. What fun! I can't imagine buying a nosewheel airplane and never really considered one. It is really like like riding a bike, once you learned it, it comes back quickly. I know there is no logical or objective reason for this , but I land a taildragger better than than a Cessna.
"Someone already thought of that."
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

tailwheel is my 1st choice, it just looks right.

but i don't like tandem seating on long flights or with pretty girls.

and i live at a place where there are only a couple of fair weather tailwheeled airplanes based. canards and tailwheel designs don't work well here because of the altitude and wind shear.

for sheer joy of flying it would be hands down the supersport cub. centerline flying, amazing stol and climb.

the bravo seems more comfortable for cross country fights for 2.

how about a used CTSW fun to fly, extremely useful, fast, cheap, and 100lbs of luggage?

they both sound like fun choices with the cub being more specialized.
Super Cub

Post by Super Cub »

Have you looked at the Legend Cub with the Jabiru 120 hp?
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Anybody have a TW airplane to rent near you. Grab an hour and see how it goes.
Bill

Post by Bill »

My advice is to go find some dual tailwheel time. My bet is that you will do fine. I hve a bit over 40 hours in taildraggers - some Cub and Champ, mostly Citabria. That was all nearly 40 years ago. Last year I got back into flying - Private Pilot operating as a Sport Pilot. Last fall I got an hour of Citabria dual and got right back into three-point landings. I would probably need another few hours to regain my former comfort level.

I ended up buying an Ercoupe because opportunity knocked and the "deal" was good. I almost bought a nicely restored Chief, but opted for the 'Coupe for some of the reasons that CharlieTango mentioned.

Also, if you have logged PIC time in a tailwheel plane 45 years ago you don't need an endorsement. You are "grandfathered" in. But you will need some refresher training.
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--
jeffbennett13

Super Sport Cub or Tecnam Sierra

Post by jeffbennett13 »

We have an S2 Performance Sport Cub, and previously had a Tecnam Sierra at our flight school. I have lots of time in both. I own the Sport Cub and so it is also my personal airplane. I don't think the Tecnam is a better cross country airplane. It's a little faster for sure. But if you get the composite prop adjusted for cruise on the Cub, it's not like night and day anymore. Go with the Super Sport and now it is even, both planes push the maximum speed limit for LSA. Both are exceptional airplanes. The Cub is better finished, less like a kit plane, but the Tecnam is lighter and is actually rated for light aerobatics in Italy, where it is made. It's twitchy, but very well balanced in pitch and roll. You can fly it at any speed with the canopy rolled back, which is good and loud, but nice because it is cramped in there. The Cub will win your heart in a way the Tecnam cannot. It wants to be your friend, to take you out and make you smile by flying low and slow with the windows and door open, and to slip down over the trees onto the grass strip to line up with it's much older brothers at the local EAA meeting. I would rather take four hours to fly from NC to MD in a headwind in the Cub than 3.5 in the Tecnam. If the wind really pipes up just take her down low so at least it looks like you are going fast. You can see where my loyalties lie, but really they are both fantastic airplanes built with stick and rudder flying as the objective. Email me if you have specific questions, be glad to talk airplanes anytime.

Jeff