TL Ultralight Sirius

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Jake,

The Sting S3 empty weight is listed at 780 lbs (basic configuration). Mine goes just over 800 lbs with most of the bells and whistles. The brochure I picked up in Little Rock a couple week's back has the Sirus at 760 lbs. I'd think 780 lbs would be a good guess for a well equipped plane.

To the baggage capacity, TL-Ultralight has it at 95lbs (http://tl-ultralight.cz/en/ultralight-a ... nical-data) which agrees with the US site and brochure.

I'd think your mission fits with the Sirius with a small amount of fuel management:

+168 fuel (28 gallons)
+340 pilot and passenger
+ 30 baggage

28 gallons would give you 5 hours of flying time with 45 minutes of reserves. I actually see 4.5 g/h at 75% cruise but always plan for 5 g/h as a buffer. I'd expect the Sirius to be similar.

My Sting has a similar mission -- fits my wife and I, full tank and 50 lbs of baggage. No complaints.

dave
dave
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

jake wrote:I dont know of any other lsa`s that have a yoke.

Jake
http://paradiseaircraft.us/default.asp
dstclair wrote: To the baggage capacity, TL-Ultralight has it at 95lbs (http://tl-ultralight.cz/en/ultralight-a ... nical-data) which agrees with the US site and brochure.
But it does not agree with the brochure on the same site. Like I said a contradiction.
Go to the same site http://tl-ultralight.cz/en/ultralight-a ... 00-sirius/ then acroll down to the specs on the catalog it says 25 kg.

Where did you find the brochure on the US site?
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Can't explain the discrepancy between tl-ultralight's 'spec' page and their brochure. I have a physical LSA brochure on the Sirius (don't see it on the web site) that I received from SportAir which presumably will be handed out at the various LSA shows coming up. The 45 kg is also consistent with what I was told first-hand by SportAir.

I'm guessing here, but keep in mind Tl-Ultralight sells the Sirius with a MTOW of 450 lbs in parts of Europe. It is just possble that in that configuration 25 kg is the max for W&B. Or it could just be an error :-)

I'm going with the majority of sources here -- US website spec page, TL-Ultralight spec page, US LSA brochure and direct conversation with US representatives -- and go with 45 kg :-)

The question is somewhat moot, though, if you put two full-size adults in the plane. Only a real factor when pilot-only occupied.
[/quote]
dave
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

It may well be an error in printing. Useful load issues are the same with the Sportcruiser. It has a large baggage area and even wing lockers. With empty weights over 800 lbs those cannot be used with two people on board.

Take a look at Jabiru or the Paradise both with large baggage areas. Some Jabirus even have a rear door. Both are variants of their four place designs. Paradise even states that the P1 structure is identical to their higher gross non-LSA. Same issue however; you can easily overload them. Maybe they can handle the weight but it would not be leagal. If something happened your isurance would not want to pay.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

As a data point, my Sky Arrow has two decent sized storage areas -

A large cube under the passenger seat that can take up to 66 lbs.

A large rectangle behind the passenger seat that can take up to 33 lbs.

That's enough room for me, Karen and (minimal) camping gear for two.

With an empty weight of 861, I do have to watch loading, even with only 18 gals fuel available.

Here's a quick & dirty spreadsheet I keep handy:

BTW, that 165 lb. passenger weight is NOT what Karen weighs!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

FastEddieB

Thanks for the info, and your example shows 0 (zero) for baggage, Doesn’t than reinforce my point that although some LSA’s provide ample baggage space you cannot use it in most cases?
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

rickdaniels

Post by rickdaniels »

Flying since 1967 and have yet to have the good fortune to have a skirt or dress climb into anything I have flown, stick or yoke. Usually jeans or shorts. On subject, check out the Rans line and remember you are talking light sport.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Fast Eddie,

Concerning spousal weight -- I always combine my wife's weight with mine and never divulge separately. Helps to maintain domestic tranquility :-)
dave
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Doesn’t than reinforce my point that although some LSA’s provide ample baggage space you cannot use it in most cases?
Sure. But its nice to have the space if you're alone or with a lighter passenger. Like I said, my Sky Arrow can handle me, wife and camping gear with full fuel (admittedly only 18 gals).
Concerning spousal weight -- I always combine my wife's weight with mine and never divulge separately. Helps to maintain domestic tranquility .
Smart man!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Daidalos wrote:FastEddieB

Thanks for the info, and your example shows 0 (zero) for baggage, Doesn’t than reinforce my point that although some LSA’s provide ample baggage space you cannot use it in most cases?
this is where my ctsw shines. we travel full fuel (34 gallons) with 100lbs left for luggage and plenty of room for it.

the ctsw handles full gross nicely.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Daidalos wrote:FastEddieB

You can make the same argument for just about any airplane, especially the GA ones. Two people, a couple of bags and full fuel and your 172 is likely to be a gross. And it's got two more seats. Try looking a the specs on the biz planes like you find reviews of in "Flying". The payloads are laughably small with full fuel. This is euphemistically called mission flexibility.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Charlie tango,

Just curious what is your empty weight?

I know the ctls is a bit heavier, do you know what avg empty weight
has been on them?

Thanks,

Jake
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

jake,

my early 06 ctsw is 719lbs empty. 06 models got incremetally heavier as the year went on.

i don't know what the ls's weight but i believe it to be more then the sw.

early 06 sw is a sweet spot in terms of weight and handling (bigger tail then 05 models)