TL Ultralight Sirius

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Mark Gregor

TL Ultralight Sirius

Post by Mark Gregor »

This looks like a very nice plane if you like high wings.
Olmost 31ft wingspan and 23ft length. Physically larger than any other lightsport I have seen.
Any opinions or anyone else interested in this plane?
any sting owners reading this, how has your experience been?

jake
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Hi Jake,

I've had my Sting S3 for about 2 years and it has met/exceeded my expectations in every way. The fit-n-finish is top-of-the-line and performance is in the top of the LSA class. Service/Support from SportAir has been good as well.

I haven't seen the Sirius yet but I would expect the above to be true for it as well.

Certainly would be worth checking out if you're in the market for a high-wing.
dave
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I am seriously considering this plane. Sport air USA will have the first two in the U.S. in february. I understand there are approximately 30 flying in europe right now.

For you who own or have purchased LSAs what should I consider before buying?

Does a company like this have the resources to build a safe good handling plane or should I wait for a skycatcher or tecnam or?

Thanks for any opinions.

Jake
seastar

Sirius????

Post by seastar »

Jake
Those are excellent questions.
I have the same ones.
If I knew the answers I would buy an LSA.
With the ongoing economic problems you can't tell who will be here next year.
Bill
KellyZ

SportairUSA

Post by KellyZ »

SportairUSA used to have a dealer network, including a dealer in WI and one in southern IL, but apparently not anymore. There is a Tecnam Authorized Service Center in Reedsburg, WI that doesn't yet show up on the tecnam.net Web site. I hear he's had a lot of experience working on Tecnams and other Rotax-powered aircraft.
scottj

Questions to ask before buying a LSA

Post by scottj »

1) What will I use the airplane for? Short or long trips. Will I need baggage capacity? What range between gas stops do I desire? 2 hours or 8 hours? Is my airplane night flight capable?

2) What is the useful load of the airplane with two passengers my size? How much fuel and baggage can I carry with two adults?

3) What will loading up with avionics (glass cockpit), auto pilot, intercom, GPSr, etc do to my useful load?

4) What is the safety record of my airplane? With more in production, (i.e. 1,500 vs 30) naturally comes more recorded accidents and incidents. Are people walking away or being carted away? Does the airplane come standard with a BRS (parachute)?

5) Factory support? If you are on vacation and need a repair or parts, how long will you wait?

6) How comfortable are the seats? How wide is the cockpit? How tall is it? Do I fit in it comfortably and can I see out the windows?

After you answer these questions, please get back and tell us which airplane you chose.

Happy New Year!
Scott
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I plan to use the plane to fly for fun but want the capability to fly cross country ocasionally.

There is a huge baggage behind the seats.

sirius has a 33 ga fuel tank

useful load look good at 750lbs before fuel. will have to wait and see actual.

Plane comes standard with parachute.

I cant find any information from europe on accidents but There was a pilot killed in testing I found out. supposedly a jamed control surface. The plane did not have a parachute installed at the time.

Its a new plane. Accident statistics are nonexistent although the sting model they have been selling ( approx 100 flying in the us ) has zero accidents on ntsb that I found.

The cabin, panel and seats look very nice in the pictures on sportair usa`s website.

Any thaughts, coments or opinions appreciated
scottj

Sirius

Post by scottj »

Jake

I did a quick peek at their web site. It says the empty weight is 720 ~ remember you need to add in avionics and any options. Not to exceed 1,320 gross. About 600 or less available.

33 gallons of gas is 198 pounds. Call it 200. That leaves you with 400 for two pilots and baggage. What do you weigh? What does your best friend weigh?

48 inches wide is nice. But there are wider LSA cockpits on the market.

Wing struts block your view. There are high wing LSA with no struts.

Do you like the yoke banging your knees and the instrument panel or would you prefer a center stick?

Fit and finish... how do the doors close and seal? Does it feel tight and that it will hold up for many years?

What is the resale market? Are older airplanes holding any value?

There are 100 LSA to choose from... be sure to do your homework before buying.
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

jake wrote:I plan to use the plane to fly for fun but want the capability to fly cross country ocasionally.

There is a huge baggage behind the seats.
Sirius baggage capacity is 25kg about 55 lbs, however you will not be able to have full fuel, two adults (if above the 170 lb average) and baggage without going over gross. I haven’t seen any POH or weight and balance info anywhere so I can’t say if CG is an issue.

Most GA airplanes I know including Part 23 certified and Light Sport are a set of compromises. You can have max range but not at max speed. Fuel capacity versus useful load is always a trade off. Most aircraft cannot be flown with all seats and fuel full, not to mention baggage. I’ve been looking at the specs for a Sportcruiser with a large baggage area behind the seats and wings lockers, but it’s hard to use it all with empty weights running about 840 lbs.

Learn to read between the the lines in the ads and brochures. I always like reading the POH it always has complete charts. Ads usually quote the best of all the specs but they are rarely achievable simultaneously.

The designer/manufacturer is giving you the options. It is up to the PIC to determine proper weight and balance for a particular flight.

http://tl-ultralight.cz/content/downloa ... pg_web.pdf
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Sirius baggage capacity is 25kg about 55 lbs, however you will not be able to have full fuel, two adults (if above the 170 lb average) and baggage without going over gross. I haven’t seen any POH or weight and balance info anywhere so I can’t say if CG is an issue.

Daidalos,
Where did you find the sirius baggage capacity to be 55lbs? On the sport air website it shows baggage capacity of 95lbs.

Web site shows empty wt at 720lbs. add 50 lbs to that because we know they are always heavier than they say.
+ 50
+180 fuel
+340 pilot and passenger
+ 30 baggage

I do not have a W/B but are you saying that this will not be likely?
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

jake wrote:Sirius baggage capacity is 25kg about 55 lbs, however you will not be able to have full fuel, two adults (if above the 170 lb average) and baggage without going over gross. I haven’t seen any POH or weight and balance info anywhere so I can’t say if CG is an issue.

Daidalos,
Where did you find the sirius baggage capacity to be 55lbs? On the sport air website it shows baggage capacity of 95lbs.

Web site shows empty wt at 720lbs. add 50 lbs to that because we know they are always heavier than they say.
+ 50
+180 fuel
+340 pilot and passenger
+ 30 baggage

I do not have a W/B but are you saying that this will not be likely?
Yes I am saying it is not likely and contradicts the manufacturers site. The link to their brochure was in my post, click on it and read. I checked the Sportair website and you are correct it says 95 lbs. There is a discrepancy there but I tend to believe the manufacturer. If you check around you will see typical baggage areas do not exceed 50 lbs. I also wonder about CG if it were really 95 lbs.

Edit: BTW your own example shows that with 2 average people (really?) and full fuel you can only load 30lbs of baggage. I don’t know what the +50 lbs was for. But do you also don’t get a plane out of the hanger with the empty weights publish for an unequipped plane.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Daidalos,
I addded the 50 lbs because I agree w. you that stated 720 empty will be unlikely.
however, even if I add 50 lbs that is still better useful load than most light sports.

the sportcruisers have all been 820 to 845 from what I hear.
An extra 75 lbs useful load is big.

Have you flown the sport cruiser and what did you think of it?

I prefer a high wing myself but have to admit the sportcruiser is a nice looking plane, even better in person.

I dont believe anyone from the US has seen the sirius in person except Bill Canino owner of sportair. He is willing to return a deposit if you dont like the plane after seeing and flying it.
Murrell

Post by Murrell »

Do you like the yoke banging your knees and the instrument panel or would you prefer a center stick?

I cracked up over this above statement !

Watch those "Goosie" sticks, yes and Ladies in dresses and skirts have to show "all" for "Goosie " stick celearance !

I'm not selling or connected with any airplane manufacturer how ever the Sirius is rated and can be equiped to tow 1587 lb. gliders, it can also be float equiped as a seaplane LSA.

Not a shabby set of spec's.

And yes TL Ultralite as been building planes since 1990 starting with the TL1

Thought I'd post to just say a few good things

Murrell
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

jake wrote:the sportcruisers have all been 820 to 845 from what I hear.
An extra 75 lbs useful load is big.

Have you flown the sport cruiser and what did you think of it?
No I haven’t flown the Sportcruiser but plan to, they have one one the line at the FBO. Yes useful load is an issue and they have wing lockers as well, but you might not be able to use them.

I have time in Evektor Sportstar, Teccnam Eaglets and Sireras. I mostly fly the Sierra.

Murrell wrote:Do you like the yoke banging your knees and the instrument panel or would you prefer a center stick?

I cracked up over this above statement !

Watch those "Goosie" sticks, yes and Ladies in dresses and skirts have to show "all" for "Goosie " stick celearance !
Actually a yoke versus a stick is a consideration. I’ve thought of the skirt issue myself, no disrespect to the ladies here. I’ve owned a PA28 and flew planes with yokes for years. Just spread your legs if it bangs your knees, watch out again for those skirts. It is easier to slide in however with a yoke. I suppose Jabiru has a good idea with the center stick, but I’ve never flown it. I like being able to switch hands on the center stick (no jokes please).
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I am used to the yoke but dont mind the stick. I know my wife prefers the yoke as well as older passengers when getting in and out.

Will be interesting to see how it handles. I dont know of any other lsa`s that have a yoke.

If any sting owners are reading how close was your actual weight to advertised?

Jake