Big Boy LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Medicman

Big Boy LSA

Post by Medicman »

Hello all,

I'm new to the LSA community and I think I'm excited about what I've learned. Now to address the large elephant in the room (that's probably me). In another posting line a pilot gentleman referred to "Chicago" sized or weighted - I'm talking about plain ol' large.
I'm looking for an LSA that might be comfortable for my bigger than big frame. I'm 6'7" and float freely beween 290 and 310; not so much girth as just all around big.

I've sat in some LSAs, like an s6, the primary problem is the lateral movement of the stick - it reaches my leg before its range of motion.
I've seen some taylor craft and aero chiefs that have the yoke type flight controls - that may prove to be helpful, especially in the whole flying the airplane part!!

Within the congregated experience, knowledge, and community pride I'm hoping to find someone who knows how to best find this Town Car of LSA-ville.
Any thoughts on cabin dimensions, leg room, seat adjustability. I'm not so concerned about luggage capacity as I am Pilot capacity. I will also fly alone if so required - everyone else can enjoy from the terra firma!!

Thanks for the info
See ya :wink:
Scott
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

You might try the Sirius -- just rolled out from the same maker as the low-wing Sting S3. It has a yoke and a wide cabin. Don't know about the loading per seat. The S3 has a max of 250 lbs per seat. http://www.sirius.aero.
dave
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Believe it or not we have a guy your height who learned in the J-3.

The only airplane he was comfortable in was the Vagabond. its single place with him in there but it had the headroom.

If you're near Tunkhannock PA at all come over and try it on.
seastar

Big and tall

Post by seastar »

Check out the Sport or Super Sport Cub from Cubcrafters.
They are very big and can be flown single person.
http://cubcrafters.com/
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I'm 6'9" and go between 275 and 300.
I'm current flying a Tecnam Echo Super. This is a The Tecnam P92 airframe which is currently only sold as the Eaglet. Chesapeake Sport Pilot where I fly has one Echo Super and two Eaglets. While I just fit in the ES, Tecnam have "upgraded" the Eaglet with trim that makes it unusable for me. So much depends and leg length and sitting hight, you requirements may be very different.

Ron
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Cub flyer wrote:Believe it or not we have a guy your height who learned in the J-3.

The only airplane he was comfortable in was the Vagabond. its single place with him in there but it had the headroom.

What about gross weight in the J3? Don't they have very limited useful load?
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Empty on mine is 725, Gross 1220 495 lbs. I weigh 170 and we typically carry about 8 gallons fuel for a 1 hour lesson 277 lbs is about the max

The airplane could be lighter if I got rid of the metal prop and gear safety cables. It also has 101 ceconite fabric. 102 would be a little lighter.

The Vagabond stock is under 700 lbs if your careful but gross of the PA-15 is 1100 and the PA-17 1150. the 50 lbs makes a big difference staying legal and there is no way to convert the PA-15 to the PA-17 gross even though the airframe is identical in structure.

But if he can fly solo then it's not an issue with either one.

I wonder why my J-3 gross is 1220 on wheels but 1320 on floats. With the 1320 on wheels you could carry most anything that would fit.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Cub flyer wrote:Believe it or not we have a guy your height who learned in the J-3.

What about gross weight in the J3? Don't they have very limited useful load?
David

sporthornet

Post by David »

I am 6'5" 250 and have plenty of room in this tandem lsa. Any tandem will work well as a J3 and others. The thing I like most is the shoulder room for me. I posted a few months ago under Sport Hornet N25dv under Light Sport Aircraft - a few pics are there. Best thing is to go to Fun N Sun or Oshkosh to try them on for size.
seastar

Airshow

Post by seastar »

The next big Light Sport Airshow is in your state of Florida.
It is an excellent show and will have all the players there so you could try them all on for size.
http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com/
I'll see you there. :D
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

I don’t know if the cabin width will be a problem but you want to take look at center stick or traditional yoke LSA aircraft. BTW the new Cessna Skycatcher stick goes under the panel and not in between your legs. But the useful load is way to low for guys like you and me.

Center Stick - http://www.usjabiru.com/index.html
Yoke - http://www.paradiseaircraft.us/
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

Check out he sky ranger. It is an awesome performer and has plenty of room. I am 6'4" 260lbs and there is plenty of room. Good flying plane. center stick.
"Keep on Draggin"
SP_Laser

Post by SP_Laser »

flyboy2007 wrote:Check out he sky ranger. It is an awesome performer and has plenty of room. I am 6'4" 260lbs and there is plenty of room. Good flying plane. center stick.
Try the Samba XXL, Light Sport Motor Glider. It's comfortable and roomy. The Useful Load for a 300lb person flying solo, is fine, buy you will need a very light instructor. There ae some female instructors out there that weight less than 120lbs, but you might have to go to them.
________
Kitchen Measures