First Cessna 162 SkyCatcher Delivery

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

AZPilot

First Cessna 162 SkyCatcher Delivery

Post by AZPilot »

From AvWeb:

Rose Pelton Takes First Skycatcher

Cessna has delivered its first Light Sport Aircraft model 162 Skycatcher to Rose Pelton, the wife of Cessna president and CEO Jack Pelton, Dec. 18. The first delivery was announced at AOPA Summit 2009 in Tampa in November. The company held a ceremony Friday at Yingling Aircraft in Wichita, Kan., which is one of three U.S. re-assembly facilities (much of the airframe is made in China) for the aircraft. Cessna says it has gathered more than 1,000 orders for the Skycatcher since the program was announced in 2007 at AirVenture Oshkosh. The company, together with King Schools, has developed a Web-based training system for sport and private certificates that will be available through the Cessna Pilot Center network.

The Skycatcher is Cessna's answer to the Light Sport Aircraft rules and fits within the restrictions that hold it to a 1320-pound gross weight and a 120-knot top speed. The aircraft is powered by a 100-hp Continental 0-200D that drives a fixed-pitch propeller. It has a maximum range of 470 nautical miles and is available with a split-screen Garmin G300 avionics package. The aircraft is built to be both day and night VFR capable. Pricing is currently set near $110,000.
CFIIMEI
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

what is the fly away cost for a Cessna 162? Fly away meaning all cost included.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

tadel001 wrote:what is the fly away cost for a Cessna 162? Fly away meaning all cost included.
It's been a couple of years since I've seen the contract, but I think the very first initial orders were for $108K retail, and that was all in. Re-assembly was to be done by a few select Service Centers that bid on the work.

CPCs and CSTARs got a small price break.
CFIIMEI
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I wonder what the cost would be to buy today. Price, plus shipping, assembly, certification, etc. The $108K and the $111,500 price does not say what is included.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

They're currently quoting $112,250.

http://cessna.com/single-engine/skycatc ... icing.html

I'd assume its a "one-size-fits-all" price, but I don't know that for a fact.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

i just read $112,500. out the door / well equiped $130,000
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

It will be interesting to see how many of those 1000 orders actually close.

The economy and airplane biz have deteriorated pretty substantially since 2007.

The CPCs are going to be hard pressed to finance them, and there wasn't any real profit for the CSTAR's to floorplan them.
CFIIMEI
Murrell

Post by Murrell »

There really is a;
Cessna 162 Skycatcher Forum
http://www.162skycatcher.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

It's been around for quite some time, I think there is only one member !

Murrell
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Murrell wrote:There really is a;
Cessna 162 Skycatcher Forum
http://www.162skycatcher.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

It's been around for quite some time, I think there is only one member !

Murrell
It does seem to be some kind of screwed up RSS feed site that uses AeroNewsNetwork as the source.

No views and no comments.

Upon further investigation it looks like the admin is trying to set up a Skycatcher "club" and charge membership fees. There is also a pilot store.

I have never heard of it.
CFIIMEI
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Yawn.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Just read the AOPA Pilot magazine article. Apparently, it doesn't fly anything like a Part 23 Cessna single. I think that is unfortunate for the operators that also operate the 172s. Transition time will be increased.

Non adjustable seat, painted metal interior to save weight, ie no soundproofing.

Interesting stats: 1044 total orders to date, only 639 domestic, 439 "retail", so 200 are CPC/CSTAR. That looks like an "ouchie" in todays economy.

Alton Marsh is a good reviewer.
CFIIMEI
Super Cub

Skycatcher

Post by Super Cub »

Has anyone heard if this 162 or serial number 2 will be at the Sebring Expo? I would be interested in a demo ride.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Didn't Cessna announce they had around 1000 Skycatcher orders over a year ago?

They're also popping up for sale already on many websites:

http://www.controller.com/list/list.asp ... anu=CESSNA

How could they be sold, if they're not yet available? Are those places taking orders for planes that have a two-year wait?

Tom
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Airplanes are generally considered sold as soon as a sales contract is signed and a deposit is paid. At that point the buyer has a serial number and delivery position that he can turn around and sell to someone else.

I think that most of those sales were to Cessna Pilot Centers. Needless to say, that was at a different time and a different economy.