Any factory built SLSA that flies low and slow?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Any factory built SLSA that flies low and slow?

Post by N918KT »

I keep seeing SLSAs with powerful 100 hp Rotax engines and they are expensive but I'm wondering if there are any low and slow flying SLSAs. I define a low and slow flying machine that has an engine that produces 65 hp or less, a 2 blade propeller, no flaps, and a maximum continuous speed of no more than 75 knots. If there are low and slow flying SLSAs how much do they cost? Are they much cheaper than other SLSAs?
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Check out the CGS Hawk, the Weightshifts, and Quicksilver GT-500 (I think they are making it S-LSA).
David

Sporthornet

Post by David »

I own a sporthornet with a Rotax 100 but it can flylow and slow. I know you can get a sporthornet with a Rotax 80 and I think it can also be ordered with a Hirth, but you would need to contact the company directly.

I have posted under N25dv if you want to see the plane with a Rotax 100

www.sporthornet.com

Good luck find a plane
mcjon77

Post by mcjon77 »

Check out the M-Squared Breese SLSAs. It has a 28mph stall speed and a top speed of 74mph. Economy cruise is 42mph. Best of all, it is only $35K, making it one of the cheapest airplane SLSAs.
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

Hi Kevin,

Why do you want a slow LSA... what do you think about this?

http://www.tecnam.net/files/brochures/P ... lassic.pdf
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Actually, tell ya the truth, I like LSAs that go both slow and fast. Both slow and fast are fun, but for some reason, I perceive slow LSAs as being very simple airplanes. I think simple airplanes are fun to fly. Don't get me wrong, I also like advanced airplanes with all the glass instruments a pilot could ever need.

Tell ya the truth, it's hard for me to decide whether I should fly an airplane that goes slow as possible or regular speed like 100-120 kts. I guess I will fly whatever LSA comes to my local airport, if it will ever come.

For my preference, the highest horse power the engine could be is 100 hp. Jabiru 3300s are a little bit too powerful for my LSA tastes. I like a 2-blade prop because I perceive that as a simple plane. High or low wing, doesn't matter.
drseti

Re: Any factory built SLSA that flies low and slow?

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote: I define a low and slow flying machine that has an engine that produces 65 hp or less, a 2 blade propeller, no flaps, and a maximum continuous speed of no more than 75 knots.
You've just described the 1946 Ercoupe 415C, a certificated airplane that (if not modified for a higher gross takeoff weight; many were) qualifies as a S-LSA. They can be had for around $20k in flyable condition, or $30k for pristine examples.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Bill

Re: Any factory built SLSA that flies low and slow?

Post by Bill »

drseti wrote:
N918KT wrote: I define a low and slow flying machine that has an engine that produces 65 hp or less, a 2 blade propeller, no flaps, and a maximum continuous speed of no more than 75 knots.
You've just described the 1946 Ercoupe 415C, a certificated airplane that (if not modified for a higher gross takeoff weight; many were) qualifies as a S-LSA. They can be had for around $20k in flyable condition, or $30k for pristine examples.
Yeah for my Ercoupe. I can laze along at 75 or comfortably cruise at 95 (that's MPH, not KTs). It has no flaps, a two-bladed prop driven by 75 Continental HP and "sips" about 5 gallons per hour. My 'Coupe is a "C" model that had never been "altered" in any way - so it can be flown by a Sport Pilot. I fly as a Private Pilot operating under Sport Pilot rules. The plane was in great condition when I bought it and I am improving even on that. I will have the wings recovered this winter and likely do an engine upgrade to "Dream Machine" specs sometime in 2011. I plan to make this plane last for the rest of my (flying) days.
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

The Coupe is an OUTSTANDING bird. I had a 46 415C with no rudder pedals that flew like a dream. You can land her in a 25 knot x wind with no flaps or rudders and it is a total non-event. Sold mine for 28K with new Airtek interior and bubble windshield, only traded up for more speed. As much as I enjoyed the Coupe I can't imagine going back to the low and slow. Now I have the option and absolutely love my Jabiru 3300. I can fly along at 85 knots to take in the scenery or pump it up to 120 knots when I want to get somewhere, all on 5.0 gph. With a climb rate of 1500 fpm, as opposed to my 600 fpm in the coupe, I think I will stick with my new LS-1. If you are looking for a great plane that is easy to fly, low and slow and a part of aviation history it's hard to go wrong with the Coupe.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks guys, I actually love the Ercoupe! I never flown in it before though. I think Aero Ventures up at Bairstown, NJ used to have it but my pilot friend told me that they sold it months to a year ago maybe and there's no SP training in Blairstown anymore. Sigh.
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:Thanks guys, I actually love the Ercoupe!
So do I, though I only have a handful of hours instructing in one. I used to be a member of the Ercoupe Owner's Club (great group; I'd recommend them to anyone interested in a 'Coupe), and had been seriously interested in buying one for myself, before I decided to open AvSport. Using an antique in a flight school is probably not a good move. Many potential students would prefer to train in something more modern. In addition, you hate to subject a 64 year old airframe to the rigors of primary training, and the cost of commercial insurance is much higher than it would be for a contemporary LSA trainer. So, even though one of my fellow EOC members offered me his LSA-eligible 415C for less than a quarter of what I ended up paying for my SportStar, it was strictly a business decision to let it go.

That said, they make a wonderful personal aircraft, and if I had not been starting a flight school, I'd be flying one right now.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

The Jabiru J170 seems like it does well at the low and slow part, while having a 85 horsepower engine. Lots of fun to fly, while not being too bad on the wallet and not to hard to learn to fly in.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170