How many AMD CH-750s out there.

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

theoarno

How many AMD CH-750s out there.

Post by theoarno »

I was wondering how many of the AMD produced CH-750 aircraft are out there flying at this time?
Does anyone on the board have one and how does it measure up?
Theo
seastar

CH 750

Post by seastar »

At Sebring I asked the same question and IIRC the answer was one.
It belonged to the dealer in Jacksonville, FL.
I was interested in buying a CH 750 at that time.
I talked to the dealer but never got a demo ride in their airplane.
I was told the factory had started another airplane but it was delayed while they fixed all the aircraft with problem wings.
The AMD people seemed frazzled and confused.
I am not sure I would want a Chris Heintz design at this time.
I bought a Cubcrafters Carbon Cub SS instead.
Bill
seastar

CH 750

Post by seastar »

By the way ---
I think the CH 750 is an interesting concept and if designed and built well and safely, would be a lot of fun.
It would be very good on a short field without the problems of a tailwheel airplane.
It is slow as a result of the fixed slots and the drag they create.
About 90 MPH cruse IIRC.
Bill
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I see 12 ch750s registered with the FAA. I didn't try checking all the variants home builts might have.

The 750 is a redesign of the 701, to better fit the LSA rules. There are 340 701's registered (with the same caveat about search parameters). There are also a lot flying overseas. There has never been a fatal crash in a 701 (US at least), nor has a 701 ever come crashed for a cause other than a dead engine or a stupid pilot trick.

The design of the 701/750 is completely different than the 601/650. High strutted wing vs low cantilever wing. The cantilever attach point is the central issue of contention on the 601/650

The 750 mission profile is pretty specific. LSA and STOL and tricycle gear. If that's your mission profile, the 750 looks like a good bet to me.

Disclaimer: I'm building a 650 right now. I actually have a lot of confidence in CH's designs. If every airplane company that ever had a design issue were out of business, there wouldn't be any airplane companies. That includes the likes Beech and Boeing Piper and Cessna

Ron
mcjon77

Post by mcjon77 »

Checking the FAA database, I found 11 750s that have airworthiness certificates. Of those, 3 are AMD factory made SLSA. Of the 3 AMD SLSA 750s, all appear to still be owned by AMD, but the FAA may be slow in updating their records.
seastar

CH 750

Post by seastar »

The OP asked about AMD built 750's.
3 sounds about correct from what I was told at Sebring this year.
The problem is AMD is up to their eyebrows fixing past design flaws in the 650'S.
I hope they make it through their problems and are successful in the market.
We need American LSA aircraft manufacturers.
With the economy today and their 650 problems AMD has a great deal to overcome as does their sister/parent Zenith.
If they have three you could probably buy one of them unless they are for customers.
Bill
rsteele

Re: CH 750

Post by rsteele »

seastar wrote: The problem is AMD is up to their eyebrows fixing past design flaws in the 650'S.
I hope they make it through their problems and are successful in the market.
l
Boy you and me both. I choose the 650 (601 at the time) because it was one of the few LSA's I could fit into and because Zenith has been around for 25 or so years. I'm still happy with my choice but the last year has been, well unpleasant. My upgrade kit is on order. Zenith is not AMD but the demise of either would surely weaken the other.

Ron
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

Thanks for those posts.