1946 Champ 7AC

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

stevenr

1946 Champ 7AC

Post by stevenr »

I'm looking forward to my first lesson in a 1946 Champ 7AC on Tuesday. I was hoping to fly today, but the weather was IFR all morning. I did a preflight with the instructor (who is 82 years old!) and seems to love the plane.

I'll post a report after I fly.
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

You will love the old bird!
"Keep on Draggin"
stevenr

Post by stevenr »

First flight in the Champ was great!

Very honest plane to fly. Every time you change the pitch or roll, you need to be on the rudders. 70kts cruising speed. Something I really liked is that there is nothing really to look at on the panel to distract you. Just an occasional glance at the altimeter and ball, and otherwise you get to enjoy the scenery outside the plane.

It flies nothing like a light sport. It's more like flying a 182 (plane feels heavy and stable).
cogito

Post by cogito »

stevenr wrote: It flies nothing like a light sport. It's more like flying a 182 (plane feels heavy and stable).
I enjoy flying the Champ as well, but see if you still think it feels "heavy and stable" in turbulance or when landing in a gusty cross wind. You may just be a better tail-wheel pilot than I.
stevenr

Post by stevenr »

It was my first flight! I'll let you know.
stevenr

Post by stevenr »

Had another great lesson today. Interestingly, the plane is easier to land, than take off. But we had winds variable at 8, so there was some crosswind.
stevenr

Post by stevenr »

Lessons are still going well. I'm still finding the plane relatively easy to land (in 3 point/full stall landings), but hard to control on take off.

The hardest part seems to be right after takeoff, when the plane is flying slow, and starts getting tossed around by the wind. With only 65 hp pulling the plane, it's a challenge to keep it flying straight.

Any suggestions from Champ pilots?
drseti

Post by drseti »

stevenr wrote:Any suggestions from Champ pilots?
Try lowering the nose a bit after you've cleared all obstacles, make a shallow climbout, and get a bit more airflow across the controls. That will make them more effective, especially the rudder (though it will increase your time to climb).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I guess one thing to try is to not focus on the actual takeoff.

IOW, assuming you've lifted the tail and are rolling nicely and straight down the runway, at rotation speed just slightly lower the tail again to a normal climb attitude, and the plane should cooperate by flying off the ground when it's ready. Be patient. I mean, don't pull it off the ground at a specified speed, which your comments suggest may be too slow.

Of course, in a gusty crosswind, you'll want to stay on the ground a bit longer and pull the plane off the ground a bit more sharply.

BTW, my above comments don't only apply to tailwheel aircraft, except for the lifting the tail part.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

I don't know what speed you are climbing out at but should be about 60. As stated previously you may need to climb out a bit shallower but 60 should put you at the right climb for that bird. Also pay attention to sticking with the rudder, don;t get lazy. If you climb out at 60 and stick with the rudder, you should not have a problem at all. If you are having problems, your instructor should have you landing and taking off for a good part of your lesson until you get this down pat. Good luck! You will get it!
"Keep on Draggin"
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

FastEddieB wrote:I guess one thing to try is to not focus on the actual takeoff.

IOW, assuming you've lifted the tail and are rolling nicely and straight down the runway, at rotation speed just slightly lower the tail again to a normal climb attitude, and the plane should cooperate by flying off the ground when it's ready. Be patient. I mean, don't pull it off the ground at a specified speed, which your comments suggest may be too slow.

Of course, in a gusty crosswind, you'll want to stay on the ground a bit longer and pull the plane off the ground a bit more sharply.

BTW, my above comments don't only apply to tailwheel aircraft, except for the lifting the tail part.
Honestly, I see waaay too much of that. A lot of light tailwheel aircraft do a LOT better if you just keep the stick neutral, let the tail lift off on it's own, and then add a tiny bit of back pressure. The plane is READY to fly, don't force it to stay on the runway.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

RyanShort1 wrote: Honestly, I see waaay too much of that. A lot of light tailwheel aircraft do a LOT better if you just keep the stick neutral, let the tail lift off on it's own, and then add a tiny bit of back pressure. The plane is READY to fly, don't force it to stay on the runway.

Ryan
Not my experience.

I taught that directional control could be maintained one of two ways on takeoff:

1) if the tail is down, the tailwheel steers.

2) if the tail is up and in the airstream the rudder steers.

In between is where the danger lies, where a sudden gust from the side can leave the pilot with NO directional control at all and put him or her aimed at the runway edge in a heartbeat. True on takeoff and landing. My experience is in Citabrias and Cubs and Cropdusters up to about 300 hp.

BTW, gyroscopic precession can be huge on the bigger engined planes, so lifting the tail needs to be done smoothly. Still needs to be done, though, IMHO.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Recumbentrider

7CCM

Post by Recumbentrider »

I'm flying a 7CCM Champ with a wing replaced by American Champion. My landings, many, have been better than the takeoffs but they are coming around. Over-correction has been my problem but as the hours increase, that is being slowly whittled away.

This Champ lands faster because of the shorter wings but hasn't been a problem. After bringing the stick to neutral on takeoff, it does fly itself off the ground. A little lowering of the nose and it climbs steadily. It trims out nicely and so far, no complaints on performance. I've already been into grass with it, flown in windy conditions, and received emergency engine out training.

Learning a lot and enjoying it. It's a great platform to learn from and I'm looking forward to soloing in the next few hours. My wife is now thinking about taking lessons and going for her PPL.

Good luck and keep at it!
D. Atwood
jimtruxel

Post by jimtruxel »

After our last kid left the nest my wife said it was her :D time to move from the right seat to the left. I was partner in a 7AC and told her when she mastered it, we would move on to the 172. It was a great help to her as she had the critical stick and rudder skills. The 172 was very easy and she just turned 70 and still loves flying. I just turned 78, been flying for 60 years, got the Wright Pilot Master Pilot Award last year and we still enjoy the thrill of flying. Been part owners of many aircraft but now are enoying the new Cessna Skycatcher. Can't get her out of the left seat so I can finally enjoy more sight seeing time.
drseti

Post by drseti »

jimtruxel wrote: my wife said it was her :D time to move from the right seat to the left. I was partner in a 7AC
Heck, that was no good for her. It didn't even have a left seat.
got the Wright Pilot Master Pilot Award last year
Congratulations!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US