Your Callsign--How do you announce yourself?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

cogito

Re: Your Callsign--How do you announce yourself?

Post by cogito »

An old thread, I know, but I'm interested to know if any of you have revised your call signs in the intervening five years now that light sports are a bit less obscure and the FAA has a new AC concerning call signs at non-towered airports. I've been using "Light Sport Nxxx" at towered airports and "Blue and White Low Wing" at non-towered fields, but am beginning IFR training in my Sling Light Sport and may as well get it right.

-Craig
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well when I first got my plane an experimental Zenith 601, I was taking lessons and my instructor used "red and white light sport". While studying for my written I discovered that if you have an experimental plane you are supposed to use that in your call sign. So I started using "red and white experimental" at our local airport. When we would go to a class D or C I would say "experimental 963MJ(phonetically of course)". Now a couple of times that I've used flight following they asked me for type of aircraft. The first time I said Zenith CH601(the ICAO code is actually CH60). That worked the first time but the second time they wanted more. So I just said "experimental light sport" and they seemed happy with that. So I guess I'll go with experimental light sport and see where it gets me when I have to use ATC. At our local, non-tower controlled airport, most people just use manufacturer (i.e. Cessna, Piper) and most of the time color although I find "yellow cub" a bit redundant. :D
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I just use Sting 184WA everywhere I go.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
comperini

Post by comperini »

Experimental Op limits state that you must use the word "Experimental" when talking to ATC. The op limits for S-LSAs state that you must use the words "Light Sport" when talking to ATC. I've never seen any benefit to adding my make/model, because no one knows what that is anyway.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Where does it state that I have to identify my plane as light sport the way experimentals do ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
comperini

Post by comperini »

Warmi wrote:Where does it state that I have to identify my plane as light sport the way experimentals do ?
If your plane is registered in the S-LSA category, the operating limits assigned to that plane say so, if that op limit was assigned.
- Bob
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

comperini wrote:Experimental Op limits state that you must use the word "Experimental" when talking to ATC.
I believe that’s only on initial contact with each facility.

Other than that, I call my E-LSA “Sky Arrow” followed by the call sign.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
comperini

Post by comperini »

FastEddieB wrote:I believe that’s only on initial contact with each facility.
I agree.

Also, I notice that the FAA has seriously revamped FAA Order 8130.2. Apparently, the latest version is 8130.2J. Unless I missed it, I don't see the similar op limit being required for S-LSAs any more. So, maybe that is no longer a requirement. Heck, I couldn't even find the same op limit for Experimentals any more.
- Bob
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Had to look.

On my Sky Arrow, see #21:

So, just control towers. Though it may come up elsewhere on the FAR’s.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I just use “experimental”, but I could also use “experimental flight design” or “experimental CT”.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

On initial contact I say "Experimental Zodiac Nxxxxx" and on subsequent calls I just say "Zodiac Nxxxxx."

I'll often get asked for my aircraft identifier and say "Charlie Hotel Six Zero" which is the ICAO identifier for the Zenith Zodiac models. More often than not ATC will then call me out to other traffic as a helicopter (Sikorsky makes several helicopter models like the Knighthawk and Blackhawk with the ICAO identifier H60). They also sometimes call me "Kodiak Nxxxxx." In both cases I have to correct them trying to inject some humor while doing it.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Me: "Greenville Approach SkyCatcher N12345."
Greenville Approach: "SkyCatcher N12345 Greenville Approach."
Me: "SkyCatcher 345 is a C162 over Clemson at 5500 landing Downtown Greenville with Charlie."
Greenville Approach: "SkyCatcher 345 squawk 1234."
Me: No response. Just enter the squawk code.
Greenville Approach: "SkyCatcher 345 radar contact 1nm east of Clemson airport, altimeter 30.04."
Me: "30.04, 345."
Retired from flying.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

I agree. Don't use light sport. That means it could be a 100 different types. Is he fast, slow, high wing, low wing, trike, ect... The controller needs to have some idea what he's looking for in the pattern.

Things like Remos 525AB or Flight Design 525AB or Allegro 525AB or Sting 525AB are more telling and appropriate. Just because a controller hasn't caught up yet with what's going on doesn't mean we can't educate them. This also makes it easier to look up the type of aircraft in their books.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Roger, what you say makes sense in an ATC environment. At a non-towered airport, however, I go a different route. The pilot population generally doesn't know a CT from a SportCruiser from a Zenith (not to mention the 147 other LSAs out there). But "light sport" conveys small and slowish - useful information for see-and-avoid. So "red low wing light sport" is definitely a helpful traffic call. (Of course, here at Cub Haven, "yellow Cub" describes everyone!) ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I go with the best of both worlds with ATC. Initial contact is 'Light Sport Sting 595L' then I simply go with 'Sting 595l' or, more likely, just '95L' on further communications. I find this limits the back-n-forth chatter on 'what is a Sting' which I believe is a good thing in Class B airspace.
dave