The lsa aircraft that have thus far impressed me.

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

tl-3000pilot

The lsa aircraft that have thus far impressed me.

Post by tl-3000pilot »

Just thought I'd share the particular lsa airplanes that have thus far impressed this ga pilot. Please keep in mind that I am new to the lsa segment and that 100% of my opinion is based on research done via the internet over the past several weeks. All of my flight experience has been in various Cessna 150, 152 and 172 high-wing aircraft, which will become even more evident as I list the particular lsa aircraft that have really impressed me so far. I'm doing this in an effort to learn more. Videos of all the aircraft listed below can be seen on you-tube of course. Thanks!

1. TL-ULTRALIGHT TL-3000 SIRIUS-

2. PARADISE P-1-

3. TECNAM P-2008-

4. THE MADE IN AMERICA STORM RALLY-

5. FLIGHT DESIGN CTLS-

Some notables: Navigator 600, Remos GX, Pipistrel Virus.

Though they are not considered lsa aircraft, I am really excited about the 4-place C-4 high-wing from Flight Design, the 4-place Panthera low-wing from Pipistrel, the 4-place P-2010 high-wing from Tecnam and the 4-place P-2006T high-wing, twin-engine from Tecnam. Having to choose one of these 4-place aircraft, I would most likely go with the Tecnam P-2010.

I'm so impressed with the efficiency, over-all price point, safety, modern design and features that these various LSA Companies bring to the table for both the LSA segment, as well as the GA segment! Though I am a fan of Cessna aircraft, I find that the design of their aircraft, as well as Piper's, to be dated.

Thanks!

Happy/Safe Flying,

tl-3000pilot.
(I wanna be.)
jnmeade

Re: The lsa aircraft that have thus far impressed me.

Post by jnmeade »

It's all about mission. Put another way, "what you see depends on where you stand". Each of us has our own perspective with our own - usually not well stated - mission(s) in the back of our mind.

Aerodynamics has changed since birds started flying. Materials have. so what may seem to be an outmoded design could be quite acceptable for some missions. I don't think the CTLS would be as good as a Carbon Cub for back country flying, for example.

After you have defined your mission, you need to fly the airplanes. They fly quite differently. A Mercedes and an Audi and a BMW all good good on paper. They drive differently.
tl-3000pilot

Post by tl-3000pilot »

jnmeade wrote:It's all about mission. Put another way, "what you see depends on where you stand". Each of us has our own perspective with our own - usually not well stated - mission(s) in the back of our mind.

Aerodynamics has changed since birds started flying. Materials have. so what may seem to be an outmoded design could be quite acceptable for some missions. I don't think the CTLS would be as good as a Carbon Cub for back country flying, for example.

After you have defined your mission, you need to fly the airplanes. They fly quite differently. A Mercedes and an Audi and a BMW all good good on paper. They drive differently.
Very well said.

Thanks!
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

There definitely is a lot of excitement coming from the LSA sector. Neat designs and cool avionics. It's one thing to pour over specs and look at pictures... but spend as much time checking out the companies, and the owner-communities.
I was smitten by the specs and modern looks of the CT, and bought almost entirely on drool factor. Luckily, the company turned out to be good, if not one of the best. I can't imagine what it would be like to buy into a sparkling new bird, and be one of 17 in the country, Ever. Forget parts, and don't even think about finding a mechanic with any expertise.
For instance... Nothing against Paradise, I've drooled in a few myself... but after 3 or 4 years, there are, what, 10 in the country? Is there a forum where you can discuss the aircraft?
Remos was hot for a while, but I'm not sure they've sold a plane in the last 2 years. Try to call the company. How about an owners forum?

One thing is for sure... LSAs aren't cheap. And you don't want your $100k investment setting on the ground for months, or having to sell it for pennies on the dollar because the company collapsed.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

ct4me wrote:I was smitten by the specs and modern looks of the CT, and bought almost entirely on drool factor. Luckily, the company turned out to be good, if not one of the best.
Tim,. I'd say you really lucked out there. Of course, one of the reasons the company turned out to be one of the best might be that lots of other people were also sold almost entirely on drool factor. :wink: Market success tends to lead to company survival tends to lead to good product support...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Good point, there. I guess that quickly eliminates the ugly ones with crappy specs! :wink:
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
tl-3000pilot

Post by tl-3000pilot »

Thank-you for your in-put! :D

I have considered customer support, current owner support, the companies history, how many of their aircraft are actively flying, how close the nearest A&P would be that is knowledgeable about repairing a power-plant that is not a Continental or Lycoming and who would be the nearest composite material repairman. I do have an interest in LSA aircraft that are made of mostly composite material, but have all metal wings, simply because they seem to be the most commonly damaged section and there are plenty of qualified aluminum skin repairman.

I agree and understand that not all airplanes are the same and that some are better at doing certain things than others, I just feel that Cessna and Piper's designs are dated, mainly their 4-place line-up. To me a new Piper Warrior or Arrow looks much the same as one from 1975, same goes with the Cessna 4-place/5-place line-up. I guess that's what I love so much about some of these LSA Manufacturers, as they bring some really great and modern looking aircraft designs to the market for both LSA and GA. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
designrs

Post by designrs »

You hit it 3000! Old planes on the ramp do nothing for me. Although they might still do their jobs quite well, unless it is a really awesome old plane I have no interest. What I like about Light Sport are the exciting modern aircraft. I want to be excited before the motor starts, kinda like a Porsche! I fly the PiperSport / SportCruiser and have seen 3 of them hold up very well in a busy training environment at Fleming Aviation at KGAI.

The Carbon Cub SS is an awesome aircraft too, with a very strong company and demand behind it (Wait list from a big factory!) Check out this video from Sun n Fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtV3LFpR ... ata_player
tl-3000pilot

Post by tl-3000pilot »

designrs wrote:You hit it 3000! Old planes on the ramp do nothing for me. Although they might still do their jobs quite well, unless it is a really awesome old plane I have no interest. What I like about Light Sport are the exciting modern aircraft. I want to be excited before the motor starts, kinda like a Porsche! I fly the PiperSport / SportCruiser and have seen 3 of them hold up very well in a busy training environment at Fleming Aviation at KGAI.

The Carbon Cub SS is an awesome aircraft too, with a very strong company and demand behind it (Wait list from a big factory!) Check out this video from Sun n Fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtV3LFpR ... ata_player
That's awesome, thanks for sharing! I actually met a couple that is literally flying around the country in one of these, they camp under the wings in a little tent, so very cool!

I'm glad that you understood my meaning, thanks again!

tl-3000pilot.

p.s. The Sport Cruiser/Piper Sport is a very exciting Plane to look at btw! :D I'm sure that it is a dream to fly. Have you flown ga aircraft? If yes, how does your Sport Cruiser/Piper Sport handle/feel compared to a 152/172 or Cherokee 140/160?

Thanks!
designrs

Post by designrs »

I've never flown GA... deltafox would be a good person to answer this question.
tu16

Post by tu16 »

:)Maybe I'm freak, but I cannot make myself to drool over CT, sorry :) I'm a big sucker for sleek low-wing LSAs with their deadly canopies :)

The leader for me in a drool factor is this (and no, I haven't have a privilege to fly one ) :

And let me quote:
An ultra-wide 51” cabin with easily adjusted pedals from the pilot seated position (No more getting upside down to change your pedal settings…a common issue in light sport aircraft) assure pilot and passenger comfort on those long trips! 44 pounds of baggage in each wing locker (88 pounds total) and 33 pounds of baggage behind the seats in the cockpit. Just to put that in perspective, 48-50 pounds is the largest bag that you can check at the airline counter without having to pay extra!
And did I mention 34G of fuel? Or 750lbs empty weight?

But enough of the drooling already.... :)
drseti

Post by drseti »

I have had the privilege of flying that one, and it flies as well as it looks. (For those who don't recognize it, that's the Bristell.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Admittedly an odd duck...

But I've always had a thing for odd ducks!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
tl-3000pilot

Post by tl-3000pilot »

That Bristell certainly does have drool factor, very beautiful/sleek indeed tu16! :D I too drool over many of the low-wing LSA aircraft, just have a preference for high-wing.

I personally love T-handle throttle quadrants. That's the one thing I liked a lot about the Piper Cherokees over the Cessna aircraft. Cessna actually has a new 182 model that has a T-handle throttle quadrant, very sweet!

Thanks for sharing!
tl-3000pilot

Post by tl-3000pilot »

FastEddieB wrote:Admittedly an odd duck...

But I've always had a thing for odd ducks!

Actually a nice looking "odd duck" to me, thanks for sharing! :D