Cockpit backup avionics...

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

David Pavlich

Cockpit backup avionics...

Post by David Pavlich »

I read an article by Robert Goyer in the latest Flying Magazine about emergencies during the cruise phase. It was interesting and prompted this non-pilot to think about a situation where the radios and/or avionics go haywire, especially with the glass panel equipped airplanes. So...what do you guys carry with you for that contingency? I've thought that having a hand held radio would be mandatory. Other things I've read about were gizmos like Dynon's diminutive portable EFIS:

http://dynonavionics.com/docs/PocketPanel.html

And then something like an Ipad with a GPS receiver or something like the Ifly 720. It seems that these items would be a good thing to have in your flight bag. They aren't big and bulky and in a case of a severe avionics hiccup, they'd sure come in handy! Thanks in advance for your replies!

David
dstclair

Re: Cockpit backup avionics...

Post by dstclair »

Most of us have more backups than we know what to do with :) I'll list some devices multiple times as they can perform multiple tasks:

* Navigation - Primary: Garmin 795 with 90 minute battery backup and a backup GPS receiver Backup: iPad, iPhone, compass and 3 current WACs that cover anyplace I fly

* Instruments - Primary: Dynon 100 with 90 minute battery backup Backup: Analog DG, T&B, Altimeter, Garmin 795 in 6-pack mode

* Charts - Garmin 795, paper WACs, iPad, iPhone

I'm not overly concerned with losing my radio. Going NORDO until I can land isn't that big of a deal for me since I'm VFR-only.

The D1 is nice but wouldn't add any value for my setup.
dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I've thought about this and I think, right now, I'd buy an iPad mini and ad one of the aviation apps. Something like Foreflight, Jepp VFR or the AOPA FlyQb..something which I could take home/aiport, do flight planning, store routes, check weather and with a rudimentary set of back up instruments (maybe?)…and on a road trip I could have it to take pictures, check-e-mail etc
cogito

Post by cogito »

dstclair wrote: I'm not overly concerned with losing my radio. Going NORDO until I can land isn't that big of a deal for me since I'm VFR-only.
Dave, I'm VFR only as well and while I know the light-gun signals, I'd rather not try to get home that way in my class D, underlying class C, which borders on class B, airport. I carry a handheld radio with backup battery and connectors to rig to my headset. If it came down to it, I'd probably use my cell phone to call the tower before the light-gun approach. Another option would be to land at a non-towered airport, but the ones near me are usually pretty crowded. Not sure if that'd be any safer.

Have any of you been given landing clearance by light gun?
-Craig
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

cogito wrote:
dstclair wrote: I'm not overly concerned with losing my radio. Going NORDO until I can land isn't that big of a deal for me since I'm VFR-only.
Dave, I'm VFR only as well and while I know the light-gun signals, I'd rather not try to get home that way in my class D, underlying class C, which borders on class B, airport. I carry a handheld radio with backup battery and connectors to rig to my headset. If it came down to it, I'd probably use my cell phone to call the tower before the light-gun approach. Another option would be to land at a non-towered airport, but the ones near me are usually pretty crowded. Not sure if that'd be any safer.

Have any of you been given landing clearance by light gun?
-Craig
I can't argue that a handheld radio isn't a good piece of equipment. I'm under a Class B, with plenty of Class D's surrounding my untowered airport home. I would not be uncomfortable flying into these Class D airports NORDO and using light signals (handy chart is on my iPhone and iPad). The odds of radio failure are low and consequences are minor which is why I don't carry one. I'd probably call the tower (as you mentioned) as well. But that's just me.

I've landed NORDO at a Class D airport before but not with light signals. I had intermittent transmission issues a long time ago. Tower cleared me to land and ask me to waggle my wings if I received their clearance. Pattern was empty at the time.
Attachments
LightSignals.pdf
(92.69 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
dave
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

If I am flying in an unfamiliar area I want to have a paper chart with me. I'm not so worried about extra radios, batteries, apps, or gadgets. The airplane will fly fine without all that stuff, but sometimes it is nice to know where you are at.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Isn't an iPad with all the sectionals better than fiddling with a paper chart, keeping it current and paying more $$ for it?

Some apps will even superimpose your position onto the sectional which you can also zoom.

Not that I've done it , but it seems like a good way to go in this digital/glass world.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I was always anal about still carrying the paper back-up however, modern technology is so relaibale that I would probably take the plunge.

Plus, I found recently that it's getting harder to find those charts.

The last few years at the airline almost did my back in! Lugging a 38lb kitbag full of Jepps for USA domestic, Latin America, Caribbean, South America, Europe etc…it was a job just keeping current.

Than getting to the airplane where it was very automated and then only using a few charts before the next round of updates!

Trying t keep it as simple as possible!
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I've been using an i-Device with Foreflight since both were released. Would not dream of flying without my electronic flight bag. I do all my on ground planning with FF. My 795 is still the primary, though, and I typically don't even pull out my I-device in flight. It might be because I'm north of the half century mark, but I also keep in the plane (do not carry) 3 paper charts covering my home area and about all the US that I'm likely to fly. You can get these for $7.50.each from Mypilotstore.com. WACs are good for a year. Can't say I update them regularly, though, given they are backups for my backup.

I may change to iFly from FF later to reduce the number apps I need since I have a Skygard ADS-B transmitter.
dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

As with many such Q's, the A's depend on the circumstances.

For those who enjoy cross-country flying, it's hard to argue against having a practical (not just 'feasible') navigation back-up. A paper chart doesn't need to be current to serve the purpose of preventing you from being lost...but pulling it out of a flight bag and trying to orient you and the chart to your location can itself be quite difficult when you are flying in unfamiliar areas. OTOH for those who have a few favorite routes and enjoy flying them regularly or staying in the local area, probably no back-ups are necessary.

A handheld (h/h) VHF radio may seem like a useful form of comms redundancy but be sure you fully test it before considering it reliable. Typically, one takes the new h/h radio on a flight, plugs in the headset, and finds the reception with ATC and/or other a/c is good, and thinks that's sufficient. Fly 10 miles outside a Class D, call the tower and request a radio check on your installed radio, and note the report. Then switch the headset and repeat the procedure with your h/h. In many a/c the Tower will not get a clear transmission from the h/h - or it will be noticeably weaker at that distance - even tho' you receive the Tower just as well, unless you are able to connect the h/h to an external antenna. Getting that 2nd comm check will help you gauge just how functional your h/h will be when you need it.

I fly with a Dynon D-1 because I occasionally file IFR and have no other back-up to my vacuum pump. I actually removed a vacuum back-up system driven by the engine's induction piping when 'installing' the D-1 in my panel, which some found a waste of money. The D-1 sits right next to my 6-pack and nav indicators, which means I can routinely shift my scan and use the D-1, maintaining comfortable currency with it. That wasn't true with the vacuum back-up system, where rpm had to be reduced (depending on altitude) and even maintaining the assigned or safe altitude might have been compromised. I think the D-1 is a clever device and I know experienced pilots who fly in elderly a/c with no electrical system who 'installed' one just in case they found themselves needing an artificial horizon given where they fly. But having said all that, I don't see it as a necessary tool for the VFR pilot .
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org