LSA Pitot/Static Check?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

cogito

LSA Pitot/Static Check?

Post by cogito »

I'm trying to remember the regs re: the 24 month Pitot/Static check regarding LSA, can anyone help me out?

I did a search here on SportPilotTalk and found info re: IFR flight, but I'm looking for the regs in regards to VFR Light Sport aircraft.

IIRC a simpler check is required for LSA vs. Certified Aircraft, but it's been a few years now since my Rainbow Aviation training.

Also, can a LSRM-A do the check?

As always, thanks for the help,
-Craig
3Dreaming

Re: LSA Pitot/Static Check?

Post by 3Dreaming »

There is no requirement for pitot static to be checked on a LSA. There is a requirement to have the transponder tested. These are 2 spate test, that are often done at the same time on aircraft that are flown under instrument flight rules. the regulations covering this are 91.411 and 91.413.
cogito

Post by cogito »

3Dreaming wrote:There is no requirement for pitot static to be checked on a LSA. There is a requirement to have the transponder tested. These are 2 spate test, that are often done at the same time on aircraft that are flown under instrument flight rules. the regulations covering this are 91.411 and 91.413.
Transponder Check, check.
Looks like 91.411 deals w/ IFR aircraft, but 91.413 is what I was looking for, thank you.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Please note that the transponder test required under 91.413 can only be performed by a certificated repair station. That means it can only be done by an LSRM if he or she happens to be in the employ of such a repair station, and working under its certificate.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:There is no requirement for pitot static to be checked on a LSA.
Tom, there are several SLSAs in which the maintenance manual includes a pitot-static check in the Condition Inspection checklist. That need not be a 91.411 check, but is usually specified as just checking for leaks. I believe it thus becomes required. An LSRM should be able to conduct it if he or she has access to the appropriate equipment.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:There is no requirement for pitot static to be checked on a LSA.
Tom, there are several SLSAs in which the maintenance manual includes a pitot-static check in the Condition Inspection checklist. That need not be a 91.411 check, but is usually specified as just checking for leaks. I believe it thus becomes required. An LSRM should be able to conduct it if he or she has access to the appropriate equipment.
Interesting! I don't recall seeing called for on any of the airplanes I have worked on. Flight Design inspect the static port and pitot tube for obstructions, but that is it.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

As a data point, no such requirement on the Annual checklist for my Sky Arrow.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]