What can I really expect during my checkride?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Ecoloqua

What can I really expect during my checkride?

Post by Ecoloqua »

Student pilot going for my LSA and just curious to hear what others have gone through in regards to thier checkrides. Were there any questions that took you by surprise? Might be a silly a question, but were you allowed to use GPS to nav or were you required to nav using sectionals and pencil? Just looking to get a jump and start preparing early.

Thanks!
3Dreaming

Re: What can I really expect during my checkride?

Post by 3Dreaming »

If your examiner is anything like the one we use around here, I would expect a simulated GPS failure for the checkride. Especially for the cross country portion.

Make sure you know your sport pilot limitations.

Know your airplane, and its systems. If the examiner points to something mounted on the outside of the airplane you should know what it is.

Make sure you have all of the required training, both flight and ground logged.

Make sure you have all your required endorsements, for both solo and for the checkride. Airspeed endorsements and instrument training if you are flying an airplane with a Vh greater than 87kts are often missed by instructors who don't do much sport pilot training.

Get a copy of the PTS standards for Sport Pilot. Know the standards that the examiner will hold you to, and make sure you are ready for the checkride by having your performance level so that you are well within the standards.
Ecoloqua

Post by Ecoloqua »

Great info! Thanks all!
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Pretty much what 3D said. My examiner had me turn my GPS off when we did the "diversion" from the x-country. Be able to calculate heading and distance from the sectional. We did a simulated engine out. All the usual stuff, steeps turns, slow flight, power-on/off stalls, soft/short field takeoffs and landings, go around. Not too many weather questions on the oral. The usual what documents you needs, when can you fly, basic plane operation questions. Good luck and have fun!
RTK

Post by RTK »

As all have said, the check ride won't be an issue if you are prepared. Don't rely upon the GPS as it may not be available to you.

Also, in the case of my check ride, I had to use a plotter and E6B to demonstrate my calculations. Be prepared and proficient in these tools as an EFB may not always be available to you.

Be sure to check weather at not only your airport, but to call up 1-800-WX-Brief and get a briefing for the entire course of flight for your cross country. You will want to be aware of all flight conditions and may even need to update/change your cross country flight planning to accommodate any weather. Your examiner is likely to inquire about your rationale for direction of flight, altitude, weather, and any clearances, notams, TFRs in effect.

You don't need to memorize the FAR, but knowing parts of it are important.

This YouTube video was actually very helpful for preparing for the check ride:

https://youtu.be/mL5IxD_7nrg

Make sure to do clearing turns before each maneuver, and TALK to you examiner so he/she knows what you are doing.

And be prepared for little quips of humor from your examiner. Mine told me, "So long as you don't sideswipe any of the planes on the tie down or hit the helicopter in front of us, you've passed your check ride." :-) Good luck!
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

The video RTK linked to is what I started listening to in the truck lately, I find it very informative. My CFI suggested a study guide for the oral, I may or may not get it I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. I do have a question: I use 1800wxbrief.com not the call in and also use them and the flt plan go app for flight planning and navlog generation, will the DPE have an issue with this?
Ed
drseti

Post by drseti »

Although I doubt the DPE will have an issue with online wx briefings, I do require my students to practice telephone briefings until they become comfortable with the process. It's really hard to ask questions of a computer screen.

When taliking to a briefer, I would encourage you to play the "student pilot" card. Most of the briefers are CFIs, and will slow down and give you a really thorough explanation if you self-identify. Besides, they really seem to enjoy their role as teachers.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

And by the way, the words "student pilot" are nice magic words to use with ATC as well; if you are in or near busy airspace on the check ride (or otherwise while learning), identifying yourself to ATC as a student pilot will get them to slow down for you ... it can be a big help if things are getting a little crazy in a Bravo or Charlie.

Rumor has it that some pilots who have their PPL/SPL use that idea occasionally also ...

Cheers and good luck!
Ecoloqua

Post by Ecoloqua »

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!