Purchasing choices

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Re: Purchasing choices

Post by dstclair »

I own a Sting S3 and pre-S4 canopies are very easy to crack open during taxi and runup (just keep your arm on the armrest) and generate plenty breeze to make it tolerable in Dallas in the summer. The airscoops provide plenty ventilation once you're airborne.

I've only sat in an S4 but I don't think it would be problem leaving the canopy unlatched on the ground but you'll find out!
dave
RTK

Post by RTK »

Congratulations Warmi! Hopefully the aircraft suits you, and it comes home with you!

If you are open to the suggestion, there's a product called B-kool which is an icebox based air chiller. This should work nicely to keep the cabin cool during takeoff and landing. I have it on my "saved list" to acquire one shortly for my Sportcruiser as I don't want to forget to latch the canopy on hot days.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

RTK wrote:If you are open to the suggestion, there's a product called B-kool which is an icebox based air chiller. This should work nicely to keep the cabin cool during takeoff and landing. I have it on my "saved list" to acquire one shortly for my Sportcruiser as I don't want to forget to latch the canopy on hot days.
There are several DIY plans out there for this sort of thing. Instead of buying a unit for 3-4 hundred dollars, you can make your own for $50.
- Bruce
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I was seriously looking at portable cooling systems - it adds about 30 pounds but it should be doable for a local flight with a passenger.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

So....did you buy the Sting?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

We did travel to Little Rock , spend a day with at the dealership with Bill Canino - 40 minutes ( awesome ) demo flight.
Yes, I signed the paper, pre-buy was finished last night without major issues ( except dead efis which was replaced ).
I am funding it partially with Nafco so the final closing will happen on Monday.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Btw. Got an insurance quote ( via AOPA ) for a $100 k hull coverage + option for other pilots , private or better with 300 hours and 5 in make/model for $2050 per year.
Keep in mind that I am a student pilot with only 35 hours so I think it is a good deal.
It started out with almost $4000 per year heheh
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Congrats! Wish you all the best with your new plane!
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Thanks.

So now it is official - the plane is mine :-)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Congratulations.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

That's great Warmi, have fun with it!

I agree that given your experience the insurance quote seems reasonable.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Congratulations, Warmi!
May you have blue skies and happy landings.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Thanks guys.

Hoping for weather to cooperate this weekend and have their CFI/Ferry Pilot bring the plane over to my location - will do some training etc ...
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I used to fly a pipeline patrol that stopped at interstate 80 at Mokena. I flew past just west of Frankfort on my way home twice a week for several years. I think I only stopped there once. I stopped a few times at New Lenox, but that airport tis long gone.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Hehe ... yeah, I am based right now at Bult Field (C56) which is not too far from Frankfort, offers cheap hangars and overall great quality for very low price.
There was ( and still kind of is ) a private airstrip in Frankfort (http://www.airnav.com/airport/LL40) but , these days, all I see there is dozens and dozens of heavy snow removal and similar vehicles parked on the runway so it is not even available for emergency landings ...