Getting a plane certified

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Possum69

Getting a plane certified

Post by Possum69 »

Hey I'm new here and to airplane rules, so like dummy I purchased a ultralight without knowing what I was doing,come to find out it's not a ultralight anymore because it has two seats. So I was just going to get my light sport license . Now people are telling me I can't register it as a light sport.... HELP????
TimTaylor

Re: Getting a plane certified

Post by TimTaylor »

No, you can't. There was a date several years ago at which time they had to be registered as Light Sport. That date has long ago passed. Maybe you can remove one seat and fly as an untralight. That's probably what I would do and not ask any questions. I think it can also be used to give ultralight flight training with a student.
Retired from flying.
Possum69

Post by Possum69 »

Ok thanks I just don't understand how they can shut a perfectly good airplane down.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The previous owner dropped the ball.
Retired from flying.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

There was about a 2 year grace period when those 2 seat ULs would be registered as an LSA. But of course as soon as that's done you need a pilot certificate to fly it. That grace period is long past, as pointed out. Your best bet is to get on a discussion board on part 103 ULs and see what it would take turn your 2 seater into a 1 seater that could be flown legally. Sounds like the seller wan't really the straightforward sort. It's possible you might still have a good deal if you don't mind submitting to the part 103 rules.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Possum69 wrote:Ok thanks I just don't understand how they can shut a perfectly good airplane down.
When was it built??

The problem is in the eyes of the FAA it is not an airplane, it is a recreational vehicle for the air. When Sport Pilot and light sport aircraft were created by the FAA they allowed these recreational vehicles to be registered as airplanes from September 2004 until January 31, 2008. There is no practical work around unless you are the original builder. You could always use the parts to build a new airplane and register it as an experimental amateur built. :wink: :wink:
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Remove and replace every screw, one at a time??

As I already said, I would take out a seat and go fly.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:Remove and replace every screw, one at a time??

As I already said, I would take out a seat and go fly.
With a seat removed it is doubtful that would be enough to meet the part 103 rules, not that anyone would care.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Probably wouldn't. Plead ignorance and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.
Retired from flying.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Have you tried running this past the EAA, maybe addressing your questions on their online forum? I just got back from Oshkosh, and the folks there deal with issues similar to this almost daily.
www.eaaforums.org
See if they can help. Good Luck!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

TimTaylor wrote:Probably wouldn't. Plead ignorance and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.
Anyway, what would they do? If you don't have a pilot's certificate, they can't take certificate action. In theory they might be able to fine you, but I think in practice if nobody is hurt they just slap your wrist and say "don't do that again", especially on the first violation.

I'm not suggesting breaking the FARs or laws, I'm just pointing out if you are really flying as an ultralight and do not have a pilot certificate, you are kind of outside the whole FAA regulatory framework, as designed.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Possum69

Post by Possum69 »

I did talk with the EAA got some good feed back, But still like to get every ones feed back
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I doubt the FAA will bend on this.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

MrMorden wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:Probably wouldn't. Plead ignorance and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.
Anyway, what would they do? If you don't have a pilot's certificate, they can't take certificate action. In theory they might be able to fine you, but I think in practice if nobody is hurt they just slap your wrist and say "don't do that again", especially on the first violation.

I'm not suggesting breaking the FARs or laws, I'm just pointing out if you are really flying as an ultralight and do not have a pilot certificate, you are kind of outside the whole FAA regulatory framework, as designed.
I think it might be a risk worth taking.
Retired from flying.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Possum69 wrote:I did talk with the EAA got some good feed back, But still like to get every ones feed back
Great bunch of folks, they are! They were building a twin engine ultralight while I was there, similar to one in the museum. Can't imagine what sort of certification, if any, that will require.