ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ryoder

ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Post by ryoder »

I emailed Garmin and Cessna and got nothing.
I wonder what they expect us to do?
LSAs are supposed to be governed by the manufacturer. So where is the guidance from Cessna?
I'll probably have to install a Lynx and make a logbook entry.
Scooper

Re: ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Post by Scooper »

I'll take a stab at replying.

My 2008 AMD CH601XL-B Zodiac SLSA is an orphan; AMD went out of business in 2009. Since the manufacturer of an SLSA has to approve any modification, including the installation of ADS-B Out equipment to meet the January 1, 2020 mandate, there currently aren't many options. EAA and AOPA are pressuring the FAA to come up with a solution to this Catch-22, but so far I haven't heard of any guidance from the regulators addressing this.

My solution was to work with a DAR (Brian Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation Services) to recertificate my Zodiac, changing the airworthiness certificate from SLSA to Experimental Operating as Light Sport. At the same time, I attended the 16 hour FAA approved LSA Repairman - Inspection course at Rainbow. Now I can legally install ADS-B Out equipment myself, and can perform my own annual condition inspections. The total cost for changing the airplane certification and obtaining my LSR-I repairman certificate was less than $1,000.

The downside to this approach is that now the airplane can't be rented or used for commercial purposes. That wasn't a concern for me since I never had any intention or renting it or using it commercially. Another potential drawback is the cost of insurance. In my case, my annual premium (AIG Aerospace is the insurer) went from $863 to $924, not a significant difference as far as I'm concerned.

I realize going from SLSA to Experimental Operating as Light Sport is not for everyone, but for me it made sense.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Exactly what I was going to recommend, Stan!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
stevem

Post by stevem »

I own Skycatcher N3028G. I emailed Cessna last January to ask about the AHRS-magnetic-field model update and also inquired about an ADS-B solution. Here is the reply:
Subject: RE: Cessna 162 alert message: "AHRS magnetic-field model out of date"
Hi Steve,
The message is not a safety concern. The new magnetic model update and instructions to install it are nearing release, planned within the next couple of weeks. This is planned to be released via a simple Service Communique and will require a maintenance facility to install it.

Cessna is starting work on an ADS-B solution for the 162. Engineering has not identified technical details or a firm schedule for its completion. Based on this we estimate it to be a least 12 months before it becomes available.
I have also considered the E-LSA route, but I lease the 162 back to our flying club and it is used for training. It is my understanding that an E-LSA can't be used for training
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

A ELSA can be used for training, but not commercially. That being said it would depend on how the flying club is set up.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

How about something like this?: https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

The wing mounted Uaxionix looks like the easiest to install and easiest to steal???
If not hangared what's to stop someone from walking off with it?
I have a Skyward TWX ads b in and out with AHRS installed in my airplane. They are having a $200 off special right now for experimental/light sport.
Fantastic customer support.
Dave
N601XP
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

zodiac flyer wrote:The wing mounted Uaxionix looks like the easiest to install and easiest to steal???
I have a Skyward TWX ads b in and out with AHRS installed in my airplane. They are having a $200 off special right now for experimental/light sport.
Dave
N601XP
SkyGuardTWX, Dave?

http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

glad your reading, typo.
Dave
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

zodiac flyer wrote:glad your reading, typo.
Dave
you're
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

zodiac flyer wrote:The wing mounted Uaxionix looks like the easiest to install and easiest to steal???
Dave
N601XP
Keep in mind the Skyguard “portable” units do not meet the 2020 mandate. The mandate requires a permanently installed ads-b out system.
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

My Skyguard is a vision pro
Not portable, permanently mounted and
2020 approved for experimental and SLSA
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I see that now and also noticed that it uses 6 antennas, 6? Wow! And none of them are included, this is interesting. This will certainly raise the the $1299 list price when you have to buy several hundred dollars worth of antennas, connectors and RG-400 cable. :shock:

From the manual:
There are 6 antennas connections (1- 978mhz for UAT transmitter, 1- 978mhz for UAT receiver, 1- 1090mhz for 1090ES receiver, 1- for GPS antenna, 1 – for WiFi transmitter, and 1- for Interrogator antenna). All antennas (except GPS, WiFi and Interrogator) are intended to be mounted externally on the belly of the aircraft. The Transceiver installer will be responsible for purchasing the required external antennas and RF coax cables.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I think it comes with all but 2 of the needed antennas, and they run about $70 each.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Upon further reading I think it comes with the internal mounted GPS antenna and the tiny wifi antenna only. According to the manual and website, they currently state "The Transceiver installer will be responsible for purchasing the required external antennas and RF coax cables." and the website states "Externally mounted antennas and coax cables (not included)".

It shows in the manual that it requires a minimum of 3 of the 4 externally mounted antennas. The generic ones are about $70 and the better quality Rami antennas are $127 each.

My point being that's A LOT of external antennas to buy and install when there are simpler options. But to each his own I guess. :mrgreen: