Dashware or the like

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

jfleming

Dashware or the like

Post by jfleming »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here use Dashware or similar to get a gauge overlay on your videos etc?

I have been trying to use Dashware with a GoPro 5 Black, but I simply can not get it to work. The files work in QUIK, but when I try with Dashware it states no data.

So I am wondering what others use to capture data and then upload to Dashware? If not a GoPro, then what?

Cheers all
John
Warmi

Re: Dashware or the like

Post by Warmi »

jfleming wrote:Hi Guys,

Does anyone here use Dashware or similar to get a gauge overlay on your videos etc?

I have been trying to use Dashware with a GoPro 5 Black, but I simply can not get it to work. The files work in QUIK, but when I try with Dashware it states no data.

So I am wondering what others use to capture data and then upload to Dashware? If not a GoPro, then what?

Cheers all
John
I use Garmin Virb - it comes with a gps built-in and has full support for all sorts of overlays.
Here is an example : https://youtu.be/eyLiQ1QYGaE
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
jfleming

Post by jfleming »

Thanks!

Do you know if there is the option to plug it into the intercom like I do with my GoPro?

Cheers
John
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

jfleming

Post by jfleming »

Ahh Awesome! Thank you.

Time to do some research.

Cheers
John
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Garmin is no worse or particularly better camera.... it is pretty much the same class as latest go pros -I picked it precisely because it has built in support for all sorts of visualization of gps data ( gps speed ,track, altitude, climb rate etc etc ) - it is still just gps derived data so don’t expect miracles but there is no need for any syncing and it works out of the box.

Here is a sample of how to set up gps overlays https://youtu.be/hIObE1jvF4E. (about 5 minutes in )
jfleming

Post by jfleming »

Thanks for that.

I have just learnt that my Garmin Aera500 mounted on the dash of my bird records data when I fly! So that may be my answer. :)

I will keep you posted.
jfleming

Post by jfleming »

Just an update for those watching at home - Not even the guys at GoPro can assist with my issues. How good is that! NOT! :(

Haven't managed to get to my bird for the data on the Garmin yet - hopefully this week.

Cheers
J
jfleming

Post by jfleming »

Finally I have given up on Dashware. RaceRender solved my issues and is actually really good!

Farewell Dashware. LOL!
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

If you post some flying videos with the new overlays , let us know ...
jfleming

Post by jfleming »

Yeah I will. I have some stuff that I am putting together, and will post up when done etc.

Cheers
J