What LSA for local and 175 nmi trip

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Mal K9

Re: What LSA for local and 175 nmi trip

Post by Mal K9 »

Warmi that’s a nice one. Like the specs, no fabric and tricycle. Need to find one a few years older.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

I once had a lesson scheduled for a C162. I weighed 200 and the CFI weighed 125. The previous renter filled up the tanks and the CFI said we were 50 pounds over the weight limit and she would not take it up.

There are lots of these C162s that are being used by flight schools and the payload is always an issue.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Mal K9

Post by Mal K9 »

FastEddieB wrote:
Mal K9 wrote:So basically it cannot get a airworthiness certificate
Which aircraft are you talking about?
The 162 Tim posted
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Mal K9 wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:
Mal K9 wrote:So basically it cannot get a airworthiness certificate
The 162 Tim posted
Then either I don’t understand, or am missing something.

Does it say somewhere that it doesn’t have an Airworthiness Certificate?

I think that plane could be a bargain for the right person, if there’s nothing major undisclosed. The engine alone is worth a fair portion of the asking price. As such, it might be worth buying for spare parts for someone who already owns a SkyCatcher, or to part out if someone had the time and inclination.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Mal K9

Post by Mal K9 »

FastEddieB wrote:
Mal K9 wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:
The 162 Tim posted
Then either I don’t understand, or am missing something.

Does it say somewhere that it doesn’t have an Airworthiness Certificate?

I think that plane could be a bargain for the right person, if there’s nothing major undisclosed. The engine alone is worth a fair portion of the asking price. As such, it might be worth buying for spare parts for someone who already owns a SkyCatcher, or to part out if someone had the time and inclination.
When someone called it a orphan I just assume that it wasn’t good for a airworthiness certificate. My bad
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If I was in the market for an airplane, I would take a look at that C162. Lanier in Gainesville has one I rent and two donor C162's. One was totalled by a tornado and one by an off-airport landing. IIRC cause was no carburetor heat or failure to enrich the mixture, or both following a long power-off descent.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Mal K9 wrote: When someone called it a orphan I just assume that it wasn’t good for a airworthiness certificate.
I assume the plane had an airworthiness certificate issued at the time of manufacture, and those are good for the life of the aircraft. By orphaned, I was referring to the fact that it's no longer being supported by the manufacturer. This means service bulletins will no longer be issued, parts may no longer be available, you won't be able to get Letters of Authorization for ADSB or other avionics mods, and maintenance instructions, service instructions, and maintenance manuals will no longer be updated.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Is it an established fact that Cessna is providing no support for the SkyCatcher?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I was told by a Cessna dealer that Cessna will continue to support the C162 and spare parts are available. However, I have no idea if that is accurate or not.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Honestly, 30k is a tough target to hit. You might get there with a Sonex, but they are a tight squeeze for two normal-sized adults. A buddy of mine just bought a Rans S7 with a 912ULS for $33k, but he stole that airplane at that price.

My advice is to keep a sharp eye out on barnstormers.com and be ready to pounce when you find a good deal.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA