Some Garmin G300 questions if anyone is familiar?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

kicktireslightfires

Some Garmin G300 questions if anyone is familiar?

Post by kicktireslightfires »

Hi Ya'll, Was wondering if anyone could help me with these G300 specific questions. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you share!

1. Is it possible to get ADS-B in traffic on the G300 map display? What hardware is required for that? Just wasn't sure if the G300 has the port needed to receive ADS-B traffic in.

2. Is there a way to turn on audible warnings for when engine parameters go out of the green? I went into the red RPM range for a few seconds and never got an audible alert, it merely was flashing red. And yet, I do get an audible "500" when descending through 500 feet.

3. Do any wireless adapters exist so I can push flight plans from ForeFlight on my iPad to my G300?

4. How does one change the date? My G300 has the accurate time but it thinks it's June 2001 and it's also giving my inaccurate sunrise and sunset times and I suspect that's because the date is wrong.

5. I've noticed the Fuel Timer just shows "---" while flying. Is this because there's somewhere I'm supposed to input fuel quantity onboard before flight? Where do I do that so that my Fuel Timer displays a value?

Thanks again!
AviatorCrafty

Re: Some Garmin G300 questions if anyone is familiar?

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Here is the manual: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00921-00_E_Web.pdf

I'm not sure if the G300 was built with ADS-B in mind, or about the alarms.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
stevem

Post by stevem »

1. Is it possible to get ADS-B in traffic on the G300 map display? What hardware is required for that? Just wasn't sure if the G300 has the port needed to receive ADS-B traffic in.
Yes it is possible but not legal if your 162 is S-LSA. The G300 hardware is the same as the first generation G3X. If you convert to E-LSA, Garmin can unlock the G300 and the lastest G3X software can be loaded. It is then possible to input the ADS-B data. You can consult the G3X installation manual for the details. I have asked Cessna for an LOA multiple times and have never received a response.

2. Is there a way to turn on audible warnings for when engine parameters go out of the green? I went into the red RPM range for a few seconds and never got an audible alert, it merely was flashing red. And yet, I do get an audible "500" when descending through 500 feet.
No. Only terrain and obstacle audible warnighs are available

3. Do any wireless adapters exist so I can push flight plans from ForeFlight on my iPad to my G300?
No

4. How does one change the date? My G300 has the accurate time but it thinks it's June 2001 and it's also giving my inaccurate sunrise and sunset times and I suspect that's because the date is wrong.
Be sure update N-71 has been performed. You can get the SB from the support webpage.

5. I've noticed the Fuel Timer just shows "---" while flying. Is this because there's somewhere I'm supposed to input fuel quantity onboard before flight? Where do I do that so that my Fuel Timer displays a value?
Go to the alarms page in the main menu and turn the fuel timer off. The fuel timer is just a reminder to change the tank feed and the 162 does not have a selector to do so.
kicktireslightfires

Post by kicktireslightfires »

stevem wrote:1. Is it possible to get ADS-B in traffic on the G300 map display? What hardware is required for that? Just wasn't sure if the G300 has the port needed to receive ADS-B traffic in.
Yes it is possible but not legal if your 162 is S-LSA. The G300 hardware is the same as the first generation G3X. If you convert to E-LSA, Garmin can unlock the G300 and the lastest G3X software can be loaded. It is then possible to input the ADS-B data. You can consult the G3X installation manual for the details. I have asked Cessna for an LOA multiple times and have never received a response.

No. Only terrain and obstacle audible warnighs are available

No

Be sure update N-71 has been performed. You can get the SB from the support webpage.

Go to the alarms page in the main menu and turn the fuel timer off. The fuel timer is just a reminder to change the tank feed and the 162 does not have a selector to do so.
Thanks, Steve!

Will Garmin not unlock the G300 unless I'm holding a LOA from Cessna?

I can't believe it will only provide audible warnings for terrain and obstacles but not engine parameters going out of the green. Seems to me like the priorities on that are reversed. I'd much rather have an audible warning about my RPM being too high than about the fact that I'm at 500 feet, which I can see out the dang window.

Do you have a link where I can find out more about this "N-71" update? Where would I find this SB?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Personally I wouldn't worry about the RPM on the o-200. They use the same basic engine in the formula one racers and turn the RPM around 4500.
stevem

Post by stevem »

Garmin won't unlock the software as long as your 162 is registered as S-LSA. There is a nice thread in the experimenter's corner: "Paperwork required to convert SLSA to ELSA". This details the history and the reason Garmin can't unlock the G300. The G300 software was the gold standard in 2010 but has not been updated in almost 10 years, while Garmin has continued to add new features to the G3X platform. I don't know if the G3X will give a warning for high RPM, but I would sure like that feature. I have asked Cessna for a LOA multiple times and have never gotten a response.

My ADB-S in solution is a Garmin 695 linked to a GDL-39. I have it mounted by suction cup on the right side of the glare shield. I also use Garmin Pilot on my phone or iPad.

Sign up for Cessna support at this link: https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/csu ... wlogin.jsp. Add your 162 info and you can access every service bulletin. The sevice bulletin is actually N17-1. This updated the GSU 73 database and fixed the problem for my plane and got rid of the magnetic model is out of date message.

I still have my 162 as a S-LSA but it is used for rental and primary training in our flying club. At some point I will convert it to E-LSA, unless the FAA loosens the rules.

The 162 is a great plane but sadly Cessna/Textron has orphaned us.
drseti

Post by drseti »

stevem wrote:At some point I will convert it to E-LSA, unless the FAA loosens the rules.
I don't know if FAA is capable of loosening the rules, Steve. AFAIK, that's an ASTM issue.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote: Steve. AFAIK, that's an ASTM issue.
While partly ASTM, it is mostly on Cessna. ASTM requires that the manufacture determine if changes stay in compliance with ASTM standards. There are other manufactures using the G3X system, so upgrading to that should not be an issue. Cessna has chosen not to spend any time or money on the former project, so no changes are forth coming. Garmin has chosen to honor their deal with Cessna from when the unit was designed for the project, so no updates without Cessna's approval.